What's new

Automatically rest ethX port to regain 1GB speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dragon31337

Occasional Visitor
I'm running my network on AX11000 Pro and there is a relatively long cat6 cable that goes to the attic to serve a switch on the second floor which would be a hassle to replace and it won't guarantee any changes. The problem is that that link stays on 1GB speed for about a day or two. Is there a way to reset the port automatically once the speed goes to 100MB? Obviously, it would be nice to set a window to not reset if the last reset was less than 10 - 30 minutes ago, or so to avoid spamming resets if something goes wrong.
I can restart the router daily, but that would be overkill and won't cover cases when 1GB stays for half a day, which happens sometimes. I tried to figure out what is causing those 1GB -> 100MB drops, but don't know what to do else. And it does hold for a while, so there are just random flicks.

Re-negotiating the link won't resolve the root issue, it will only hide it. If the link rate drops, it's because the connection isn't stable enough, and forcing things would only result in a high number of dropped/retransmitted packets., slowing things down and affecting stability.

I've been tracking the state on the status page, and it stays on 1GB for a while, one day on average. Sometimes 10 hours, sometimes 2-3 days. I do not have a clear solution to the link rate, at the cable is already shielded cat6, high quality, grounded, etc. Resetting it would be a good enough solution. Now I replug the cable or restart the router and it would be more convenient for me if I do not have to do it.

Try an electrical reset on the entire network.

This may fix your issue.

May not be the router. The switch may have a bad port. Try another port. Also, check the condition of the cable ends. If the cable was made up with male connectors crimped to solid CAT6 cable, might be a good idea to get female punch down connectors and use pre made patch cables to connect to the router and switch.

Connectors can indeed be an easy enough fix. I have seen issues myself with a cable I have here connecting two rooms, there was a lot of dropped packets until I recrimped both ends.

Test the cable , if the cable is good , your problem is the port on the switch or router . Good luck

I'm running my network on AX11000 Pro and there is a relatively long cat6 cable that goes to the attic to serve a switch on the second floor which would be a hassle to replace and it won't guarantee any changes. The problem is that that link stays on 1GB speed for about a day or two. Is there a way to reset the port automatically once the speed goes to 100MB? Obviously, it would be nice to set a window to not reset if the last reset was less than 10 - 30 minutes ago, or so to avoid spamming resets if something goes wrong.
I can restart the router daily, but that would be overkill and won't cover cases when 1GB stays for half a day, which happens sometimes. I tried to figure out what is causing those 1GB -> 100MB drops, but don't know what to do else. And it does hold for a while, so there are just random flicks.
This sounds like a physical cable problem, use to deal with this a lot when I was maintaining a data center. It's either a bad termination or a short in the wire, you could try reterminating the cable on both ends and see if it clears up, if not it's the cable itself somewhere. Additionally, it could also indicate a bad port one side of the cable (Router, switch, or both).

IMG_0133.gif

Straight through RJ-45 T-568B for unshielded twisted pairs. Probably the most common patched cable.

I have this script on my router to solve a similar issue with the 1Gig ethernet connection to my cable modem. It gets invoked by another script that calls it in a loop every 15 seconds. The other script is started by a line in jffs/scripts/firewall-start:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

## Keep the Modem connection at full GigE speed.
## For some reason it periodically drops to 100mbit instead.

if ethctl eth0 media-type | grep -q "Link is Up at Speed: 100M" ; then
        sleep 2
        if ethctl eth0 media-type | grep -q "Link is Up at Speed: 100M" ; then
                ethctl eth0 media-type 1000FD >/dev/null 2>&1
        fi
fi
exit 0

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!