What's new

BE98 Pro Questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Heater

New Around Here
Hello All! I recent picked up the Asus AXE16000 and I’m still within my return period. I was thinking of returning it and picking up the BE98 Pro instead. As I was researching the BE98 I noticed that it doesn’t appear to be WiFi 7 certified at this time. Is Asus seeking certification? Is this a draft spec router and is there any worry in this router not being compliant with the final spec that was finalized earlier this year?

Welcome to the forums @Heater.

WiFi 7 will be finalized possibly this September (2024). Nothing WiFi 7 is fully compliant yet, even if it is 'certified' (both those terms don't have to be true).

Hello All! I recent picked up the Asus AXE16000 and I’m still within my return period. I was thinking of returning it and picking up the BE98 Pro instead. As I was researching the BE98 I noticed that it doesn’t appear to be WiFi 7 certified at this time. Is Asus seeking certification? Is this a draft spec router and is there any worry in this router not being compliant with the final spec that was finalized earlier this year?
Apologies. I thought the specification was final given this article.

Development of the 802.11be amendment is ongoing, with an initial draft in March 2021, and a final version expected by the end of 2024.[11][15][16] Despite this, numerous products were announced in 2022 based on draft standards, with retail availability in early 2023. On 8 January 2024, the Wi-Fi Alliance introduced its "Wi-Fi Certified 7" program to certify Wi-Fi 7 devices. While final ratification is not expected until the end of 2024, the technical requirements are essentially complete.[14]

Until final ratification, you're buying toys today. Features may or may not be included. Marketing BS at it's finest. Buyer beware (Always).

That’s unfortunate. I can stick with the AXE16000 if need be. TBH I was thinking of switching primarily for the multiple 2.5g ports on the BE98 rather than having to utilize the 10g ports on the AXE16000 for greater than 1gbps services. I’ve read that the performance of the 10g ports on the AXE16000 can be flaky.

Yes, the AXE16000 is another 'rushed' first to market product. See my post above.

Many of the performance issues related to the 10 Gbps ports are tied to Trend Micro's bwdpi engine which can't keep up. Make sure you disable anything related to Trend Micro if you intend to use the 10G ports.

Many of the performance issues related to the 10 Gbps ports are tied to Trend Micro's bwdpi engine which can't keep up. Make sure you disable anything related to Trend Micro if you intend to use the 10G ports.
So it sounds like that would be an issue on either the AXE16000 or the BE98, correct? Regardless it seems the BE98 is better suited for multi gig if you plan to use the built in ports, correct?

So it sounds like that would be an issue on either the AXE16000 or the BE98, correct?
Yes.

Regardless it seems the BE98 is better suited for multi gig if you plan to use the built in ports, correct?

Not necessarily. In either cases, you probably need to disable the Trend Micro engine to be able to fully use it.

Yes.

Not necessarily. In either cases, you probably need to disable the Trend Micro engine to be able to fully use it.
Is that just as simple as unchecking AiProtection? Is it even really worth having enabled anyway?

Screenshot 2024-05-15 at 19.41.22.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!