What's new

MLO: What exactly is Smart Connect's role?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

From the article you linked to. Yes, in theory, it might be possible and we might get it in the future, but so far, MLO doesn't appear to be implemented as a one band down, another band up, but rather, let's bunch more bands together for faster downloads or uploads.

View attachment 59055
I guess i read it to fast. Feels stupid if they dont implement it properly. I want "basic" Full duplex, rather than windows show 4Gbps, 2Gbps is fine enough.

I guess i read it to fast. Feels stupid if they dont implement it properly. I want "basic" Full duplex, rather than windows show 4Gbps, 2Gbps is fine enough.
Well, that's kind of what wired Ethernet is for.

It's hard to do proper duplex networking wirelessly on many levels, but it might be possible to do on the 6 GHz band, as there's enough available bandwidth there. However, it would require more complex radios and that would add cost.
It might happen one day, but not right now.

Well, that's kind of what wired Ethernet is for.

It's hard to do proper duplex networking wirelessly on many levels, but it might be possible to do on the 6 GHz band, as there's enough available bandwidth there. However, it would require more complex radios and that would add cost.
It might happen one day, but not right now.

OK. Thanks mate for explaining. Its a bit strange, we can have OLED in laptops, superfast SSD, a good graphics card but no network port (hindering full duplex). I am much more sceptic to Wi-Fi7 now :/

OK. Thanks mate for explaining. Its a bit strange, we can have OLED in laptops, superfast SSD, a good graphics card but no network port (hindering full duplex). I am much more sceptic to Wi-Fi7 now :/
You could just pick up a fairly affordable USB to the Ethernet dongle. I'm not quite sure what the holdup is, but Realtek was showing 5 Gbps solutions at Computex last year and some motherboards have already shipped with the PCIe equivalent chip. Maybe there will be announcements at Computex next week. Regardless, 2.5 Gbps options are aplenty and $30-40 at most.
That's assuming you can use something wired instead of wireless.

I did buy an Gigabit adapter with broadcom chipset inside. It said it would support 1 Gbps.
However when i connected it to my Vivobook Pro, i never seemed to achive more then 250Mbps tops (USB 3.x)
I downloaded all the latest drivers. Next time, when its time to upgrade i am gonna put OLED+LAN port
as mandatory. ps latency also seemed higher on dongle in comparison to WiFi6

By the way i read this yesterday:
WiFi 7 MLO mainly includes two modes: STR Mode and NSTR Mode. STR Mode refers to simultaneous transceiver mode or asynchronous mode. That is, two or more links work completely independently, and they don't interfere with each other. NSTR Mode refers to non-simultaneous transceiver mode or synchronous mode.

I hope Merlin adds STR Mode if ASUS is lazy :)

I did buy an Gigabit adapter with broadcom chipset inside. It said it would support 1 Gbps.
However when i connected it to my Vivobook Pro, i never seemed to achive more then 250Mbps tops (USB 3.x)
I downloaded all the latest drivers. Next time, when its time to upgrade i am gonna put OLED+LAN port
as mandatory. ps latency also seemed higher on dongle in comparison to WiFi6
Maybe try one of the new 2.5 Gbps adapters, they get close at around 2.2-2.3 Gbps.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!