What's new

Netgear WNDA3100

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mitty

New Around Here
Hi all,

Just found the forum. Reading through it so far I have learnt more about the perilous world of Dual Band N Networking than just about any place on the net, it's a jungle out there and not for the feint hearted! It would appear to be very easy to think you are buying the right thing but make a big and expensive mistake!

My current setup is this: Billion ADSL 2 Modem, which has plugged into it a Netgear VOIP Wireless Router. A recent reorg of my place now sees my main HTPC in a spot that's difficult to get to with LAN cable so I'm upgrading it to wireless, and thinking this is the time to switch to N.

To cut a long story short, I'm planning on either an Airport Extreme (I have a Macbook as well) or a Time Capsule solely on 5.0ghz mode to avoid interference from about ten wifi networks in my apartment block. Nobody seems to have N yet.

For the HTPC I'll need a dual band adapter. Everyone on here seems to recommend the Netgear WNDA3100. I've had a bad experience with the WG111V3 which had constant dropouts on G and required unplugging and replugging in to get it t work again. I know the WNDA3100 is a totally different beast, but can anyone assure me it's definitely the right choice for what I'm looking at? The DWA 160 also has been mentioned but some people say it's not as good.

Any and all advice taken and appreciated. Thanks again for a great forum :)

Look at the NETGEAR WNHDE111. A bit more money, but much better antennas and more flexibility in placement. It's only 5GHz, however, but that sounds like what you want anyway.