What's new

XClaim Xi2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jasons6930

Regular Contributor
Hi all,

New to the forum, and hoping to get some advice!

I want to rehash my home network by installing a couple of ceiling AP's on the ground and first floor.

I was thinking of going for 2 of the Xclaim, and wondered if anyone had any thoughts on the product?

I realise they are not that great for tweaking etc but im not really wanting to if my honest!

Ideally i would like them to do seemless roaming, but from what i understand, this is more to do with devices rather than the AP??

I had the Unifi Ap pros installed a while ago after visiting someone who had them and thought they were very good.

However, after installing them in my home, they didnt perform as well for some reason, especially on the 2.4 band, and even the 5 was flaky, and that was after spending many hours tweaking here and there and still not resolving the massive dropout and throughput issues, and it seems im not the only one, but there doesnt appear to be that many suffering the same issues.

Any thoughts or recommendations very much appreciated.

:)

I have read the xClaim forums with hope after the initial release. I wouldn't do it.

There are plenty of people there who feel like paid beta testers using an unfinished product. As Tim has said, the access points are Ruckus models repurposed with new firmware/management software, and so far, it appears they released them far too early. Support looks to be very limited.

I have yet to find a set of access points in my price range that will do what I want in the home. The best from a review standpoint here that I've seen are the Linksys LAPAC1750PRO model. The issue that concerns me with these though is that Linksys has had them out for awhile now, and is still on the initial 1.x release firmware, released 3/24/2015. I have a hard time believing there's no need from fixes or improvements since the unit's release, and am unconvinced they'll support them as well as I'd want to make a purchase. Until somebody releases something I'm impressed by, my RT-AC87 in AP mode will soldier on, but I'm hoping someone actually makes something like the Linksys AP but with better support going forward.

The web based CloudManager software has expanded Xclaim's bag of tricks. Check the Xi-3 review before you buy.

Reliable "seamless" roaming is hard to do and usually beyond the range of this class of products.

Remember also that support is via forums only.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!