What's new

AC87R Wireless/General Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dawgdoc

New Around Here
Hello all.

I have an Asus AC87R router, and I both need help with a specific issue, as well as general help with this router.

Although I am a very tech savvy and computer hardware savvy individual, Im exceptionally ignorant when it comes to networking.

I am interested in learning how to get the most out of this router, as well as diagnose what I think is a specific problem.

I have had this router for approximately 6-8 months and overall it seems to work well. I have 1 computer wired to the router, and I would guess approx 8-10 wireless devices that connect to it (cellphones, laptops, ipads). I set it up myself and cant recall details, but can post screenshots or traffic histories or whatever is necessary to help.

The main issue I am having lately is wireless cutout on both the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz channels. Especially when performing multiple tasks at the same time, approx every 3 minutes I completely lose all wireless capabilities while the 1 wired connection appears to be intact. Specifically I am noticing this issue when simultaneous downloading games on steam and streaming videos. The wireless signal appears to stop broadcasting, then I switch from 1 of the networks to the other and I immediately get network traffic back....for about 3 mins :(

How do I diagnose if there is a problem with the router itself vs something else?

How do I fully/properly set up this router and take advantage of all of its capabilities?

I see that there is a poweruser here named Rmerlin who makes custom firmware for Asus routers. Is there any advantage to using his firmware?
** I just reflashed firmware to RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4_378_9383-gc6c2b9d even though my router is AC87R since my understanding is that they are 100% identical and the 87R is just a rebranding for certain resellers.

I dont need handholding (although any amount of help appreciated!) I am perfectly fine if there are links to threads or manuals that can be helpful. I tried reading myself on the internet and Asus website/manuals but tbh...im so network ignorant its all meaningless "gobblety-gook" to me at this point.

TY in advance for any help!

Dont take this wrong but the 87 has been a major headache for almost everyone that has owned it including myself. Most have returned it for a refund and have moved on some like yourself keep it and experience what you have said. At this time there is no firmware to make the 87 shine so take it for what it is the 87 was a lemon. :eek: :(

Dont take this wrong but the 87 has been a major headache for almost everyone that has owned it including myself. Most have returned it for a refund and have moved on some like yourself keep it and experience what you have said. At this time there is no firmware to make the 87 shine so take it for what it is the 87 was a lemon. :eek: :(

Ok fair enough. Im open to suggestions.

I have no problem purchasing a new router and going through whatever learning process/setup is necessary.

What would you/the community recommend for the top of the line best router for home networking/gaming/general use?

There is no budget for this. Ill spend whatever to get the absolute top performance and stability.

Ill spend whatever to get the absolute top performance and stability.

It's hard to recommend a router expectations differ from person to person. What works great for some may not work so well for others. The RT-AC68 is a great router that many use and like. There is also three newer routers the RT-AC3100 , RT-AC88U and the RT-AC5300. All have had excellent reports basically right out of the box. Check around this forum the information is here,also Google and learn see what others are saying. :)

Good Luck and keep checking your thread here i am sure others will add to it..

Welllllllll im an instant gratification and sorta impatient person so.......after doing a very small amount of researching I went out to my local BestBuy and bought the Asus RT-AC3100.

It got great reviews and appears to be identical to the 88U other than 8v4 LAN ports.

Guess Ill see if I am happy in a short while after I hook it all up.

Is there really much difference between Asus firmware and RMerlins with regards to speed and stability or is it mostly the GUI interface and information available that Merlins has added benefits?

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!