What's new

Accessing Multiple LANs via a single Internet Connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lasvegas_rob

New Around Here
I am trying to configure several networks that will all connect to a single internet connection via a cable modem. I have read the articles on creating two networks, but I have a question: I will need to be able to occasionally connect to one and only one computer on each network remotely. I think what I need to do is to have one router for each network, and connect that specific computer to the DMZ port of those routers. Should that be all I need to do, or is there something else? For example's sake, I want to do the following:
network 1: 192.168.1.1 (first computer at 1.50)
network 2: 192.168.2.1 (first computer at 2.50)
network 3: 192.168.3.1 (first computer at 3.50)
From my remote internet connection, I want to be able to connect to any one of these 3 computers, one at a time of course. Do I need another network that would act as the primary network, say at 192.168.4.1 that each of those routers would connect to, or can I get away with just 3 routers total? Do I need to open any other ports to be able to get to those other networks?

You can establish the separate subnets with routers that support multiple subnetting like the Linksys RVL200 or Adtran NetVanta.

The RVL200 would be better, since it supports SSL VPN, which will allow secure remote access to the multiple subnets.

Possible Router Selection

What about the Linksys RV042 or RV016 vpn router? Would that do the same thing as the 220 as far as subnetting? If I'm using just one router at the head end, could I connect to more than one computer (one at a time) via the same internet connection, or would I be limited to just one?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!