What's new

ASUS USB-N66 performance and issue track [HOW TO]

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jassenjj

New Around Here
Hi guys,
I just feel I need to write down somewhere my breakthrough with unleashing the performance of Asus USB-N66 Dual Band Wireless N Network Adapter which took me almost 2 years to achieve :)

I hope someone there could still be using this wifi usb adapter.

So, 2 years ago I decided to build the ultimate wireless environment at home and I bought RT-N66U router and USB-N66 wifi adapter for my desktop computer. The performance was nice (~200Mbps@5G/40Mhz channel width), but not "ultimate", same is valid for stability - there were random errors with accessing the default gateway, especially after connecting for the first time after rebooting Windows.

After a lot of digging I found the the culprit: the device's IP task offload support is buggy.

After disabling the option from Windows, I spiced it with some general performance optimizations like disabling TCP heuristics, also chimney offload, enabling Direct Cache Access and ctcp congestion provider and the problems went into history. Now I have a stable connection with perfect speed and stability (~270Mbps).

Note that the router and the adapter are separated by a 30cm thick concrete wall and 7m distance.

The setup:
Router: RT-N66U, firmware 3.0.0.4.376.1071, Wireless settings in the pictures.
Wifi adapter: USB-N66, driver version 1.0.0.7 Asus official (do NOT use the general drivers from Mediatek for RT3573 - they cause many "strange" effects!)
The details are in the images below.

USB-N66 speed.jpg

Wifi settings General.jpg

Wifi settings Professional.jpg

netsh int ip.jpg

netsh int tcp.jpg

If you're not familiar with netsh and you need the full set of commands to tweak your settings, please let me know and I'll add it.

Wow. I achieve only 90mbps with the RT-N66U and USB-N53 which uses the RT3572 (2x2). I am using Linux and I assume the drivers are to blame. (Though, the following link seems like good news. https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=53215)

Thanks for the post. I am always hungry for real-world results. :)