What's new

Best books for a linux administrator to learn networking concepts?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

redhatchamp

New Around Here
I want to be near to RFCs but don't want to start with RFCs.

fourozan networks
stallings networks
douglas comer internetworking with tcp ip volume 1
stevens tcp ip
fourouzan tcp ip

stallings security
fourozan security
atul kahate security

These are all the textbooks I'm planning to buy.

Concepts I need to learn are like ssh, dns, ping, traceroute, ss, netstat, nmap etc commands in depth.

ssh, dns, ping, traceroute, ss, netstat, nmap etc commands in depth.
All you really need is network+/security+ for a foundation. All of those are basic tools for networking.

Really though you could just use Google to find out more about each of them.

Well, how deep do you want to go and how narrow for you want the info to be?

You can dive in to each a mile deep and a inch wide but, how they all tie together needs to be broad but, if your goals are to be a SME you have to start somewhere.

What exactly is the goal here anyway? Most of these tools are just basic techniques for TSing connectivity. The books you mention are basic and then you mention security focused ones at the end.

You still need the basics though before diving into the specialized stuff. I've dealt with security focused engineers that don't have a clue how routing/switching actually works. If you don't know how the data flows it's pointless to focus on securing it.

What's your current grasp on networking?

Just a user? Dabbled in more than a home network? Work in networking?

Ok, so a relative noob as far as hands on experience goes I've been doing this for decades. Just start with the two I said before and if you think it's too novice then get the books you want. Cisco goes in depth though and might be a little more focused for the security side. Maybe something Wireshark related would be more in depth for the other stuff. Packet captures are where this becomes a bit more useful anyway. As far as using them day to day the concern would be whether they're permitted on the network from a firewall standpoint.

douglas comer internetworking with tcp ip volume 1

I have the comer books - while dated, they are essential for developers...

I also recommend Essential System Adminstration (aka the ESA) from O'Reilly... 3rd edition (2002) is the current release - there's a lot of good info in here for any new linux sysadmin...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!