What's new

Can't set/change the USB/FTP permissions on a drive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Keely_Coles

New Around Here
Router: RT-N66R
FW: 3.0.0.4.376_3657
---------
USB: (PNY brand) 128GB USB3.0
FS: NTFS
Permissions: Everyone = Full
---------
USB - FTP enabled
USB - Samba share enabled
AiCloud2.0 - Cloud Disk enabled

Problem:
I can successfully log into my USB drive (both on asuscomm.com & locally) - but nothing shows up in drive, just a sub folder that I cannot access either. Getting the 550 - permission denied for everything.
Where do you assign the permissions per user?

I've watched a few Youtube videos, read thru some posts here...
I never get any prompt to select a user and give them the read/write access selections through the radio buttons

Screenshot (if it helps) attached.

Thanks for any help or suggestions...

Attachments

• keely_error.png
    keely_error.png
    35.5 KB · Views: 1,510
It's a bug introduced by Asus a few months ago. Make sure the disk does have a valid partition table (some USB thumbdrive for instance don't have a table), and that there aren't any unusual/special partitions on the disk.

It's a bug introduced by Asus a few months ago. Make sure the disk does have a valid partition table (some USB thumbdrive for instance don't have a table), and that there aren't any unusual/special partitions on the disk.
Thanks for quick reply Merlin!

I have tried 2 different USB drives, same result.
Can see all the folders, but cannot open the folders, nor see the files inside.
550-error.

These drives were 'quick-formatted' NTFS by my home PC running Win8.1
I will research (and confirm) I have a valid partition table.

Funny this is, after I pull the USB drives out and put them back in my home pc, there's new txt files on the drive -some have names like:
.__folder_list.txt.41
.__username_var.txt.30

The user ones contain text strings like this:
*=331*Movies=331*TOP-12=331
or
*=000*Movies=000*TOP-12=000

My ultimate goal is to share an internal drive/folder to my family over the internet.. but I can't seem to even get this correct! :eek:

It did work here for me, but what I did was to create the folder from the router Samba webpage, the R/W permission was set as default.
Have you tried it that way?

[EDIT]
A little addition with pictures.
Mind device name is changed to ROUTER1, and "username" got Read (R) and Write (W) access (default) to folder "data" (created by using the + "Add new folder" function) on the USB disk.
This allows you to access files over the local network through Windows Explorer, first time you need to enter credentials ("username" and password, the same as to login to your router user interface).
From the Samba page you can add new users and set their permissions.

Attachments

• samba.png
    samba.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 2,445
  • windows.png
    windows.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 2,059
Last edited:
It did work here for me, but what I did was to create the folder from the router Samba webpage, the R/W permission was set as default.
Have you tried it that way?
Thanks for the suggestion wouterv, I will try it that way this weekend.
:)
Will do that right after I upgrade to the latest "Merlin" FW, to protect from the latest vuln and to get SSH (vs Telnet) into my router for configs.

I configured external USB hard drive with GParted. Recreated msdos partition table. Created primary ext3 partition occupying entire disk space, tried as well extended partition + logical partition ext3. After setting up the drive and trying ftp put the error appears:
Code:
550 Permission denied (restricted operation).
I'm not able to preview or change user permissions for FTP Share in the web interface because the permission radio buttons are not displayed.

router: RT-N66U
FW: Asuswrt Merlin 3.0.0.4.376.49_5

I configured external USB hard drive with GParted. Recreated msdos partition table. Created primary ext3 partition occupying entire disk space, tried as well extended partition + logical partition ext3. After setting up the drive and trying ftp put the error appears:
Code:
550 Permission denied (restricted operation).
I'm not able to preview or change user permissions for FTP Share in the web interface because the permission radio buttons are not displayed.

router: RT-N66U
FW: Asuswrt Merlin 3.0.0.4.376.49_5

As indicated this is a permission issue. Set your filesystem permissions to 777 using a Linux shell (either from the router, or from a Gparted liveCD.

As indicated this is a permission issue. Set your filesystem permissions to 777 using a Linux shell (either from the router, or from a Gparted liveCD.

Sorry for digging up this old post.

But I would like to know what do you mean by "using a Linux shell" to set the filesystem permissions to 777.

My problem is that although I can use Goodsync to sync the folder on the external hdd (which is connected to the ASUS router) with my folder in PC by using the FTP function, sometimes when I renamed or deleted a folder in my windows PC, it simply shows a message of permission error and as a result, those files cannot be deleted on the router side

What I tried before is to, plug that external hdd to my windows PC, powered up a VMware to run ubuntu, format that external HDD as ext4 format (not sure about partition things though), and use chomd command to set 777 permission for the drive under "/media/username". I am not sure whether this is what you refer to as Linux shell. Although, I can create, write and sync the folder in my windows PC with the external hdd connected to the router quite perfectly, the aforesaid problem still persists.

I must admit that I am not good at these technology matter. So, please kindly elaborate the solution (if any) step by step as simplest as possible This permission issues has been bothering me for years and I still cant get my head around it. Sometimes I am even considering to abandon this setup (which I am not willing to obviously).

Sorry if I couldn't present my problem in a more succinct or better way as I got insufficient sleep by searching this problem yesterday night.

Thank you.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!