What's new

change .local domain to something else

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hedeon

New Around Here
As topic. How do I change the .local domain name to anything else? I am migrating to Asus router (AX88U Pro) running Marlin firmware and all my network devices (IoT) are configured to use .dom domain. I'd rather change it on the router than on the devices themselves as this would be a massive pain. I have changed Routers Domain Name in DHCP Settings, but doesn't seem to affect anything, devices still will not respond to ping hostname.dom, but will to hostname.local, even after multiple reboots.

Cheers for help

.local is a special domain that`s used by mDNS, and will be in addition to any real DNS domain that you chose.

After changing the domain on the DHCP tab, you must ensure that your clients renew their DHCP leases so they inherit the new domain.

.local is a special domain that`s used by mDNS, and will be in addition to any real DNS domain that you chose.
So I am not able to change mDNS? the best I can achieve is hostname.dom.local? Do I understand this correctly?
After changing the domain on the DHCP tab, you must ensure that your clients renew their DHCP leases so they inherit the new domain.
Yes, I have actually fully rebooted the clients several times to make sure this happens. However it doesn't change anything, the devices are pingable only by hostname, and hostname.local, but NOT by hostname.dom or even hostname.dom.local....

So I am not able to change mDNS? the best I can achieve is hostname.dom.local? Do I understand this correctly?
No. What I mean is that it's a separate domain. So, both of these will work at the same time:

mypc.local
mypc.mydomain.com

The first one will be resolved by mDNS, the second one will be resolved by regular DNS.
NOT by hostname.dom
A valid domain must have both a name and a TLD. So instead of just dom, try myhome.dom as your domain.

No. What I mean is that it's a separate domain. So, both of these will work at the same time:

mypc.local
mypc.mydomain.com

The first one will be resolved by mDNS, the second one will be resolved by regular DNS.

A valid domain must have both a name and a TLD. So instead of just dom, try myhome.dom as your domain.
Is this a limitation of the firmware or the protocol? I swear I had mDNS setup as .dom only on pfSense and it was working fine.
Thanks for your replays anyway, much appreciated.

Is this a limitation of the firmware or the protocol? I swear I had mDNS setup as .dom only on pfSense and it was working fine.
You are confused. .dom is not an mDNS name. Only .local is mDNS. Everything else (.dom, mydomain.com, home.lan, etc.) is DNS. As you can only resolve unqualified or mDNS names that suggests that your client does not have its DNS configured correctly.

You are confused. .dom is not an mDNS name. Only .local is mDNS. Everything else (.dom, mydomain.com, home.lan, etc.) is DNS. As you can only resolve unqualified or mDNS names that suggests that your client does not have its DNS configured correctly.
Indeed. Make sure your clients are using the router as their DNS server.

You can test name resolution by specifying the IP address of the resolver, i.e. nslookup mypc.blah 192.168.1.1 to determine if the issue is the client not using the correct resolver, or the DHCP server not assigning the correct FQDN.

It`s still best practice to use a valid FQDN domain rather than just an unused TLD. I don`t know if Asuswrt enforces it, I never checked as I always used a domain.tld myself.

It`s still best practice to use a valid FQDN domain rather than just an unused TLD. I don`t know if Asuswrt enforces it, I never checked as I always used a domain.tld myself.

There are some TLD's that are reserved specially for LAN usage.

See my info here...