What's new

choice rt-ac66u vs rt-n66u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kalmiya

New Around Here
Hello,

After using my dir655 for a few years, I noticed the 2.4Ghz band is getting overcrowded (15 wlan's near me now), so I'm looking for a new router.

Since I only buy such devices every 4-5 years, I'd like to have one which is
1. must have: stable (no disconnects, daily/weekly reboots etc).
2. Must have: superb speed on 5 Ghz ( laptops) (>150 Mbit)
3. should be compatible with future clients (over time clients will be upgraded to 5ghz and AC anyway)
4. should have: Similar speed as my dir655 on 2.4 Ghz (ps3, xbox, iphone) (54-130 Mbit, depending on device)

So my eyes fell on the Asus AC66U. Now in every review I read about performance issues on the 2.4Ghz band but no reviews mention if these problems only occur with "QoS" enabled (since obviously something is wrong there)... So I'm looking for some advice - is it likely that this router (through FW-update) will match the RT66U performance?

Would you guys recommend getting it, or sit this round out and instead get the RT66U?

There are already quite a few posts in this forum from potential buyers asking for how both devices compare, so I won't repeat those details.

For the 2.4 GHz performance, I don't have any issue here with mine with QoS disabled - and the QoS issue has been fixed in the latest unreleased beta from Asus, so it's just a matter of time for it to become available.

Also keep in mind that 5 GHz is much more limited in range than 2.4 GHz. So when you say "superb performance on 5 GHz", don't expect to get full signal strength if the router is at one end of your house and you try to use it at the other end. This isn't a limitation of the Asus routers, just a fact of 5 GHz wifi that applies to any router. 2.4 GHz will always have superior range.

For the 2.4 GHz performance, I don't have any issue here with mine with QoS disabled - and the QoS issue has been fixed in the latest unreleased beta from Asus, so it's just a matter of time for it to become available.

Also keep in mind that 5 GHz is much more limited in range than 2.4 GHz. So when you say "superb performance on 5 GHz", don't expect to get full signal strength if the router is at one end of your house and you try to use it at the other end. This isn't a limitation of the Asus routers, just a fact of 5 GHz wifi that applies to any router. 2.4 GHz will always have superior range.

Thanks - good to know new firmware is underway...

Concerning limited range - wasn't aware of that, thanks for mentioning it...
To get an idea compared to my current situation a quick test:

Dir-655 with macbook on 2,4Ghz WiFi
rate (MBit) signal(%) location
104Mbit 100 same room, free line of sight 3-4 meters
52-104Mbit 54-72 other side of house (one floor up)

So for the near-location I guess 5Ghz would have comparable signal, but faster speed - what about the far-away location? The signal is likely to be lower (40-60%?), but what about speed? Would it be able to beat the 104Mbit currently given by 2,4Ghz?

(update: speed downstairs varies, will go below to 54Mbit)

Last edited:
Thanks - good to know new firmware is underway...

Concerning limited range - wasn't aware of that, thanks for mentioning it...
To get an idea compared to my current situation a quick test:

Dir-655 with macbook on 2,4Ghz WiFi
rate (MBit) signal(%) location
104Mbit 100 same room, free line of sight 3-4 meters
104Mbit 54-72 other side of house (one floor up)

So for the near-location I guess 5Ghz would have comparable signal, but faster speed - what about the far-away location? The signal is likely to be lower (40-60%?), but what about speed? Would it be able to beat the 104Mbit currently given by 2,4Ghz?

Depends on your network card. To handle more than 135 Mbits, it has to be dual (300 Mbits) or triple stream (450 Mbits), and your router needs to use 40 MHz channel bandwidth. That last part is easier at 5 GHz than 2.4 GHz due to having far less interference around.

In itself, 5 GHz is not any faster than 2.4 GHz if they are both configured the same way.

My main concern is to improve the speed on my laptops:

1. mbp mid 2010 with "BCM4322 2 × 2 chipset"
2. mbp early 2011 with "BCM4331 3 × 3 chipset"

So #1 would go up to 300Mbit - and #2 up to 450Mbit...

Another idea: Currently my modem enters the house downstairs, with the dir-655 next to it. However, there is a cable from the dir-655 going upstairs to an old switch with my printer/nas connected to it. Now it didn't cross my mind yet, but if I get an asus n66u / ac66u for downstairs, then I could put the dir-655 upstairs and replace the switch - and I could leave wireless enabled...

Assuming my laptop would automatically switch to the strongest network, that pretty much would guarantee 100% signal at >100Mbit speeds upstairs. Or is this a bad idea (interference?)...

You could indeed reuse that DIR-655 as an access point. The amount of interference will depend on what interference you get from your neighbours, that will determine if you'll be able to put both routers on distinct channels.

At the same distance, a 5 GHz signal will be lower than a 2.4 GHz signal, assuming they both start at the same level.

But signal level is only one factor. You need to try a router or two and see what performance is like in your environment.

It is too early for 802.11ac. The spec is still in draft and won't be released until end of next year. The AC66U firmware is still not stable.
A draft 11Ac router will provide no benefit for non ac clients. If you want ASUSm the RT-N66U is a better bet for your needs.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!