What's new

Considerable tethering performance loss

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fArGo

Occasional Visitor
Having a RT-N66U and using latest build 378.55 I notice a dramatic loss when tethering using a USB modem. Internet connection is very inconsistent loosing connection constantly. This goes for build 378.51 and 378.50 as well.

I am now back on 376.49_4 and it seems to work much better but not perfect.

I am using ZTE MF93D modem.

Did you do a full reset to factory defaults? Did you do a minimal and manual configuration of the router to secure it and connect to your ISP? Did you use new ssid's or 'forget' the connection on each device you have and then re-associate the router again?

Moving from the 376.xx branch to 378 requires a reset to factory defaults and if you did not do it (or did not do it properly), then that may explain the issues you experience.

Did you do a full reset to factory defaults? YES
Did you do a minimal and manual configuration of the router to secure it and connect to your ISP? YES
Did you use new ssid's or 'forget' the connection on each device you have and then re-associate the router again? NO, problem seems to be how well the the Merlin firmware treats USB devices, not the wireless network as such. Loss of Internet connection occurs even on devices wired to the router.

Is there a firmware update for the modem? Can you reset it to defaults as well?

Moving from the 376.xx branch to 378 requires a reset to factory defaults and if you did not do it (or did not do it properly), then that may explain the issues you experience.

Proper factory reset, do you mean pressing the hardware reset button for 5-10 sec?

That and doing a hard reboot (pull the AC plug on the router and wait for at least a minute before plugging it back in).

Then, doing a reset via the GUI too and minimally and manually configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP.

Did you do a full reset to factory defaults? Did you do a minimal and manual configuration of the router to secure it and connect to your ISP? Did you use new ssid's or 'forget' the connection on each device you have and then re-associate the router again?

This post reminds me that these updates come with no recommendation as to the update procedure. Some people say just flash it, some say "did you do a full reset to factory defaults," oh, and then rebuild your router for an hour or more.

I'm not an advanced techie, so maybe I'm missing something, but it would be nice to have a definitive statement on the necessary update procedure for each release. There's a big difference between flashing your router and resetting to factory defaults.

Thanks,
Anton

This post reminds me that these updates come with no recommendation as to the update procedure. Some people say just flash it, some say "did you do a full reset to factory defaults," oh, and then rebuild your router for an hour or more.

I'm not an advanced techie, so maybe I'm missing something, but it would be nice to have a definitive statement on the necessary update procedure for each release. There's a big difference between flashing your router and resetting to factory defaults.

Thanks,
Anton

It's documented in the included README.

It's documented in the included README.

Thank you RMerlin. I had seen that, and should have just decided that that was the dead-right answer to the "how to update" issue. It keeps coming up in comments though, and so I felt unsure as to whether I was missing something or not.

Again, thanks, and thank you for your Asuswrt-Merlin work!

Anton