What's new

DLNA from Network Shared Folder

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GGavan

Regular Contributor
Hi,

It is possible to use DLNA with shared folders from network and not just with attached drives?
I have more sources available as windows shared folders and I would like to use DLNA from my router AC87U
Any idea?

Thank you in advance!

1)In Linux you can install cifs-utils to support Windows Shares file system. Install this from your package manager.

2)Then mount it.
mount -t cifs //<WindowsBox>/<ShareName> -o username=<user>,password=<pass> /mnt/location

EG:
mount -t cifs //192.168.1.100/IllegalDownloads -o username=GGavan,password=qwerty /mnt/location
Where 192.168.1.100 is the static IP of your Windows machine.
IllegalDownloads is the name you gave the share in Windows. You can give it whatever name is appropriate.
GGavan is a valid login on your Windows machine that has access to the files Shared folder.
qwerty is GGavan password in Windows.

3)Then point the DLNA server to this mount location. Eg /mnt/location

Last edited:
Thx! I think that I got the idea to start with.
The thread can be closed!

1)In Linux you can install cifs-utils to support Windows Shares file system. Install this from your package manager.

2)Then mount it.
mount -t cifs //<WindowsBox>/<ShareName> -o username=<user>,password=<pass> /mnt/location

EG:
mount -t cifs //192.168.1.100/IllegalDownloads -o username=GGavan,password=qwerty /mnt/location
Where 192.168.1.100 is the static IP of your Windows machine.
IllegalDownloads is the name you gave the share in Windows. You can give it whatever name is appropriate.
GGavan is a valid login on your Windows machine that has access to the files Shared folder.
qwerty is GGavan password in Windows.

3)Then point the DLNA server to this mount location. Eg /mnt/location

Lol @illegaldownloads

Hi,

Tried this... it is the exact script except the password:
admin@ASUS:/# mount -t cifs //192.168.0.5/Public -o username=GGavan,password=xxx /mnt/location
but I receive this error:
mount: mounting //192.168.0.5/Public on /mnt/location failed: No such file or directory

It accepted this format
mount \\\\192.168.0.5\\Public /cifs1 -t cifs -o "username=GGavan,password=xxx"
But it is mounted in cifs1 and it is not visible as folder to be used by media server.
Also it was un-mounted after restart.

What I'm doing wrong?
Thx in advance!

The Media Server only supports USB disks, it does not support other mount points within the root filesystem. So, it looks like you missed the last part of that post where it mentions you need to create a mount point within /mnt, not on top of /cifs1.

Thank you RMerlin!
And /mnt mount can be seen in media server or there it is no way, just USB drives?

Thank you RMerlin!
And /mnt mount can be seen in media server or there it is no way, just USB drives?

Not sure, Asus frequently changed that code, so I don't know where they're at right now. You'll have to try.

The other way would be through a custom minidlna.conf config file, where you could specify your own paths.

It worked with this one:
admin@ASUS:/# mount -t cifs //192.168.0.5/Public -o username=GGavan,password=xxx /mnt/REMOTE
but only after I had created the folder /mnt/REMOTE
So, first the folder with mkdir then mount.
I couldn't see the folder on router GUI but the TV seen it
Then I could run movies from shared folder into my TV.
The problem is that after router restart the folder /mnt/REMOTE and the mounted drive are lost.
Any help how to have these automatically back after router restart?

Last edited:
Hi,

It is possible to use DLNA with shared folders from network and not just with attached drives?
I have more sources available as windows shared folders and I would like to use DLNA from my router AC87U
Any idea?

Thank you in advance!
You could do it the other way around.
I use Serviio to stream media to smart tv and you could add the drives connected to the router to the Serviio server on your PC or Mac..

Hi, thank you for your answer but I don't want to use a PC for streaming as I have the router doing this very well. The router is up 24/7, the PC it is not.
I just need to know how to have the mounted drive back after router restart in order to don't run manually that two lines from above ( mkdir and mount).
I think that I should put these two lines somewhere as as script to be run after the router has started all services.
I have also a VPN connection to that PC with shared folder so it will be great to have this 2 lines script run after VPN connection is established.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!