What's new

Guest wifi separate/different dhcp/dns? - ax88u pro?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

neednetworking

Occasional Visitor
Imagine the scenario where an old windows server is currently the dns and dhcp server, but we want to install a rt-ax88u pro as the new router with both internal and guest wifi. Now the internal wifi users should get dhcp and dns from the windows server, but the guest wifi users will NOT be able to get dhcp/dns from the server because intranet will be blocked thru the guest wifi setting. So, is there a way to offer different dhcp/dns to guest wifi users from the asus router directly? I am guessing it will have to be a different subnet and/or vlan. I think we could theoretically turn dhcp off on the windows server and just use the same dhcp for both guest and internal wifi users from the ax88upro, BUT the DNS has to be kept on the windows server for the internal workstations to access dns for domain services i think. I suppose we could put a primary and secondary dns server in the dhcp, but i think that would possibly cause flakey inconsistent delays? Thoughts??

If you use Asus-Merlin on the Asus router then it's possible to setup Guest Network with its own IP and DNS values. See YazFi:

Note that YazFi generally does not work with AiMesh nodes or AP's.

Imagine the scenario

Real scenario or imaginary only? Server, workstations... business? this RT-AX88U Pro is a consumer product with early releases of a new branch firmware.

If you use Asus-Merlin on the Asus router then it's possible to setup Guest Network with its own IP and DNS values. See YazFi:

Note that YazFi generally does not work with AiMesh nodes or AP's.
I can't use yaz because want to use ai mesh. prefer stock firmware

I think with "guest network pro" it might allow dedicated separate dhcp and dns for the guest network on it's own vlan. That might work. Can anyone confirm?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!