What's new

Media server vs file serving?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gedrod

New Around Here
Hi all,
I will be moving to a new house soon and have some new gear - more on that later- but I currently have a Beyonwiz DP-P1 (maybe just an australian model) which is a twin HD PVR/streaming media player. I keep my media (divx, MKV, audio, etc) files on my main PC and have some shared directories which the Beyonwiz sees just fine and streams/plays them fine via a 100mb/s wired ethernet setup.

My question is: when I move to then new house I will get my new QNAP 209 out of the box and use it to share the files. The QNAP has a TwonkyVision media server, but why might I use that if I can play shared files over the network?

I listen to a lot of internet radio (Radio Paradise!) and use iTunes so I will also probably buy a couple of SONOS players.
Cheers, Gedrod

If the media player you have can network browse and play files fine from your server then there is no advantage to using a "media server". Media servers are helpful with players that don't have general network browsing capabilities.

I've noticed just looking to a file on a file server, then playing can be a bit choppy depending on your network. If you run into that a simple media server(or app) can make most of that go away.

If you're running on a gigabit network it might not be a problem, but for me, I still used 10/100. I also noticed pausing and skipping caused more issues. I haven't had time to try after my recent upgrade to gigabit.

Thanks for the replies Peeps, thats helpful. I'll have gigabit ethernet in the new house, so I should be able to watch all my files in 1/10th of the time, right? :rolleyes:.

If the media player you have can network browse and play files fine from your server then there is no advantage to using a "media server". Media servers are helpful with players that don't have general network browsing capabilities.

Is that the case?