What's new

NAS with BitTorrent

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

odoketa

New Around Here
I noticed a number of announcements recently about BitTorrent support on various NASs. Is anyone using these? I assume when they refer to 'support' they mean a client running on the NAS, yes? Do you then use a client on your computer of choice, or is it generally web-based administration? I'm halfway thinking about the DNS-323 (I have an unslung slug, but the processor seems overwhelmed whenever I try to use it), but wasn't sure what all this talk of BitTorrent support meant.

I've never used BitTorrent on a NAS, but I can see how it would be useful. I personally like to be able to fine tune my downloads however. I do have my BitTorrent client on the server I use to hold my movies, which is a very nice plus, so I can see why this would be a good idea for most.

I use uTorrent which gives me a lot of options with my downloads, everything from on-the-fly throttling, to pausing (without losing the connection info, just reduces in/out to 1kb/s) if I need to devote resources to something else for a short period, to letting me specify was gets download (Say I have a corrupt CD in a Linux OS, I can open the .torrent file, unselect everything I don't want, then download that one CD).

As with everything else, it all depends on what you want!

The recent announcements are touting the use of a BitTorrent "certified" client. This is embedded in the NAS firmware itself and is administered through the NAS.

Many NASes now have embedded download clients, which don't have to be BitTorrent certified. Some support only BitTorrent. Others will also download via FTP or HTTP.

Some interface examples can be found here
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30304/170/1/11/
(and next two slides)
and here:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30311/170/1/11/