What's new

Router Acting as VPN Client?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

iwod

Regular Contributor
Are the any Router on the market that can act as a VPN Client instead of a VPN Server.

The idea is that every Single Connection to this Router would be make through the VPN Connection. Without having to set a VPN connection username and password in every connecting client.

Wow, These Gateway to gateway Router are expensive, Especially when i want one with Wireless.

Do any of the DDWRT , or Tomato support Gateway to Gateway feature?

Do any of the DDWRT , or Tomato support Gateway to Gateway feature?

Yes.

One of the lesser expensive but still 1/2 decent VPN routers I've deployed in the past was the Linksys BEFSX41 model (note the "X" in the model number instead of the "R"). It's been disco'd.

When you say set the user/pass in every connecting client..that makes me think you want to have at least several remote sites connect to a central office. Which makes me want to say "don't skimp" on the router...the cheapest ones you find will have slower processors and lower amounts of RAM, and they will suffer in throughput, compared to better models that will have faster (and some with separate dedicated VPN processors) that will give you better speed and stability.

Also you will want a higher speed broadband connection at the central "host" that the remote sites VPN into. Because you're dividing that bandwidth up.

wow, that would be amazing. So if I'm travelling in China for example (where facebook/youtube is banned) I could use my router at home in Europe to access facebook/youtube. Right?

I suppose....dunno if they filter out VPN traffic. Plenty of services like that out there, look up HotSpotShield.
VPN to your home, from across seas, depending on the speed of your home broadband, you may find trying to view youtube stuff would be like dial up, if the upload on your home account is slow.

I suppose....dunno if they filter out VPN traffic. Plenty of services like that out there, look up HotSpotShield.
VPN to your home, from across seas, depending on the speed of your home broadband, you may find trying to view youtube stuff would be like dial up, if the upload on your home account is slow.

It probably varies with where you go but I have a customer who's CEO regularly goes to china on business and such and he is able to connect back to the offices here just fine, both with and without the vpn (once we remove china from the block list in the firewalls that is...)