What's new

RT-AC66U available in June?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nothing like dropping $200 and having a major feature be flat out broken. It's as if these guys don't even test the firmware before release. Oh well at least I know it's not just me. Let the waiting begin!

Well, nvram appears to be 64K on this thing. However, not only is QoS broken for wireless devices as another person noted--but also under the Wireless-->Professional tab, TX power is gone. That is, you can't adjust TX Power for 2.4 nor 5ghz wireless networks using firmware 3.0.0.4.164. I speculate this limitation is due to the AC hardware, but I'm not entirely sure.

Well, nvram appears to be 64K on this thing. However, not only is QoS broken for wireless devices as another person noted--but also under the Wireless-->Professional tab, TX power is gone. That is, you can't adjust TX Power for 2.4 nor 5ghz wireless networks using firmware 3.0.0.4.164. I speculate this limitation is due to the AC hardware, but I'm not entirely sure.

I'm curious of the TX power setting was in the original build and removed from the 164 build or if it was missing all along.

I am contemplating switching to this router from the N66U(just bought the N66U) since it should be pretty much equivalent to the N66U but have the AC band for the future(my routers usually last me about 3 yrs or so)

I'm curious of the TX power setting was in the original build and removed from the 164 build or if it was missing all along.

I'm not sure whether firmware 3.0.0.4.140 allows TX power adjustments, but
3.0.0.4.164 doesn't. At the moment, I'm not willing to flash .140 to find out.

Regardless, RT-N66U does allow TX power settings.

And I'm not able to reproduce this wireless QoS issue with the RT-N66U either.
I manually set a computer's mac address to have the "highest" priority (with "any" protocol),
and I'm maybe getting 25% of max potential download throughput with the RT-AC66U. Unless I'm doing something wrong,
wireless QoS is completely borked. I have both wireless and wired devices connected to the RT-AC66U.
As soon as I turn off QoS, everything works as expected.

Last edited:
See if setting power through the Advanced_PerformanceTuning_Content.asp page works (don't forget to click three times on "Apply" for the page to actually accept the new values). No idea if that would work, give it a shot.

Not sure why the device-specific page for the AC66U doesn't have the power output settings. You might also be able to possibly set the power using either the nvram command tool, or the wl command directly.

See if setting power through the Advanced_PerformanceTuning_Content.asp page works (don't forget to click three times on "Apply" for the page to actually accept the new values). No idea if that would work, give it a shot.

Clicking "apply" numerous times doesn't appear to do anything. Revisiting the page shows the values are at 80 (never changed).

Clicking "apply" numerous times doesn't appear to do anything. Revisiting the page shows the values are at 80 (never changed).

Then I guess Asus completely disabled power settings through the webui for some unknown reason. You might want to contact them to ask if there was a reason for removing that functionality from the RT-AC66U.

Well, I pulled the trigger on one of these today(NewEgg). Let's hope they respond with some good info about these issues.

Hopefully Merlin and others will have some 3rd party support for this thing too. :D

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!