What's new

Running Two LANs on checkpoint safe@office500w

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gsxrian

New Around Here
Is it possible to run two LAN's on a Checkpoint safe@office 500w router ?
I have two different domains running Exchange 03 and Exchange 07 and would like to be able to access them seperately.
I have one Fiber connection for internet.
Thanks

Are you looking to use VLANs or do you need routed subnets?

According to their site, the unit supports port based VLANing (with the 'powerpack'), so that would mean yes, you could split up your networks without too much hassle.

Keep in mind, they aren't mutually exclusive, and you can have have a mixture of VLANs and different subnets in various networks. In the context of a small network, VLAN support is more common amongst routers (like your checkpoint), and port based VLANing can be a little simpler to impliment for basic network segregation. As such, VLANing is probably the better/easier way to go. It's also usually slightly easier to arrange VLANs over multiple physical spaces. For some, VLAN's can also be a little simpler to understand.

In larger networks, you can have a whole variety of VLANs over subnets, depending on needs. But that's can get into pretty complex network planning. I've done a few 'two companies one internet connection' types of setups and port based vlaning on a router like yours is usually the best way to go. Although in fairness, I've done a few multi-subnet setups, too.

Thanks for the feedback!
I guess my options are buy the powerpack or buy another router and at least have a backup router, for my primary network.

Possibly. But VLANing (without routing) is usually handled in the switch chip without loss of performance.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!