What's new

Entware [SOLUTION] Cross-Compile ProxyChains-NG Entware Package via Debian Live DVD

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The previous question was about your packaging process not whether you would include proxychains-ng in your repo.
Anyone can take my repo as an example to build theirs, as long they are willing to maintain the packages included there because otherwise what's the point?
I do not plan on maintaining a repo with packages I personally don't use and can't really test, I shared the workflow file in faith that it will be useful to someone.

At the time of the original posting, proxychains-ng wasn't available for the architecture and kernel version in which I needed it. So... I decided to roll my own and created this posting from my notes.

Entware uses a modified OpenWRT packaging process that requires slight modification to the Makefile paths.

I hope that answers your question.

Actually you have not really answered my question...

What is the point of this package?

More importantly, it seems that you're pushing at least some of the maintainers to adopt this package, and they're not comfortable, as this cannot be tested in a normal situation.

This is not good - seriously...

I actually have a fair amount of concern here, as this can cause issues that cannot be debugged properly by folks here on the forums that support AsusWRT-RMerlin, mainly because it's an odd-ball config that few have a need to use.

Even the maintainer of proxychains-ng says this is a hack...

Code:
ProxyChains-NG ver 4.17 README
=============================

ProxyChains is a UNIX program, that hooks network-related libc functions
  in DYNAMICALLY LINKED programs via a preloaded DLL (dlsym(), LD_PRELOAD)
  and redirects the connections through SOCKS4a/5 or HTTP proxies.
  It supports TCP only (no UDP/ICMP etc).

The way it works is basically a HACK; so it is possible that it doesn't
  work with your program, especially when it's a script, or starts
  numerous processes like background daemons or uses dlopen() to load
  "modules" (bug in glibc dynlinker).
  It should work with simple compiled (C/C++) dynamically linked programs
  though.

If your program doesn't work with proxychains, consider using an
  iptables based solution instead; this is much more robust.

The fact that proxychains-ng only works over TCP, and it requires application level support, I can't see this being a viable project for Entware or others...

@jacklul - I wouldn't worry about this one too much.

I do not plan on maintaining a repo with packages I personally don't use and can't really test, I shared the workflow file in faith that it will be useful to someone.

If you can't test it, then do not pull it in to your repo's...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!