What's new

someone got native ipv6 working behind bridged modem?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Snoopotic

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I'm running Asus WRT Merlin 380.57_0
on RT-AC56U

I am using cable Internet and thus the Router is behind a bridged cable modem.
My ISP told me he delivers IPv6 in Dual Stack and some comments in other forums wrote they have working ipv6 in dual stack on this ISP.
Well I don't. Or to be more precise: Activating native type, dhcp-pd, stateless, auto dns, router advertising ...
also waiting many hours I don't get any v6 address.

What is working is 6to4, but this is not "native" and 6in4 using tunnelbroker. so I'm not really out of ipv6 but I'd like to go the step using the ISPs Adresses :)

In another thread of this Forum I found (it an old one) that there may be an dhcp6c.conf file bud there is nothing on asuswrt merlin....
All I found was a binary dhcp6c linked to /sbin/rc running it via root it throws error code 22...
Code:
./dhcp6c; echo $?

But syslog stays empty...

Also some Files containing ipv6 are empty:
Code:
-rw-rw-rw-    1 Snoopoti root             0 Mar 10 08:38 ipv6_client_info
-rw-rw-rw-    1 Snoopoti root             0 Mar 10 08:38 ipv6_client_list
-rw-rw-rw-    1 Snoopoti root             0 Mar 10 08:38 ipv6_neigh

In my infrastructure it's a bit difficult to connect another Device directly on the modem to test it but I may try it.
But the question from me in this forum is: Is Native ipv6 working for some people here with that firmware? Shall it work? Is there a way to restart the dhcp6-deamon/client or whatever that is trying to obtain a ipv6 Prefix Declaration?
SO far I cannot see anything related in the syslog that says something like "running/starting dhcp6 client to look around..." or "obtaining ipv6 address/Prefix on WAN failed..." :)

Thank you for helping/discussing out.

I have native IPv6 with Comcast and no issues with any firmwares even going back to John's fork. Make sure your modem supports IPv6 you could also try power cycling the modem and router. Turn both off then turn on the modem let it completely boot back up then turn on the router and let it completely boot back up and check for IPv6 again.

But the question from me in this forum is: Is Native ipv6 working for some people here with that firmware? Shall it work? Is there a way to restart the dhcp6-deamon/client or whatever that is trying to obtain a ipv6 Prefix Declaration?
It's working fine here on a cable network, although the modem is not bridged. (AC56U with 378.56_2)

cnErj7G.png

Ok cool. Thank you for the screenshot. That's what it should look like... But doesn't for me :|

I found out that my ISP only provides a IPv4 Address in Bridge Mode of my Modem. I don't understand but that's it.
Thank you guys. so it's no merlin/asuswrt issue.

greets.

I also have problems with Comcast's IPv6

I am currently a Comcast Home Business user, and using Comcast's SMC (modem+router) for getting a static external IP.

SMC's LAN1: any computer in this LAN gets working IPv6 IP correctly, e.g., Windows OS reports "IPv6 connectivity: internet", my ASUS RT-AC66 is in this LAN, its eth0 gets a good IPv6 IP, "ping6 ipv6.google.com" inside RT-AC66 works.
RT-AC66's LAN2: any computer in this LAN does not get good IPv6 IP, including wired/wireless Linux / Windows systems. Windows OS reports "IPv6 connectivity: No internet access".

I have tried to configure IPv6 with different combinations (including easyriider's), none of them worked. Eventually I sort of gave up IPv6 in LAN2.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!