What's new

Sudden increase in bufferbloat with Cake QoS when nothing's changed?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

anotherone

New Around Here
RT-AX86U on Merlin v3004.388.7

Rogers internet advertised speed is 150/30, actually getting around 300-500 down, 30 up. Modem is XB8 in bridge mode.

Using 300/30 as baseline, I set Cake QoS to around 96%, 288.44 down and 28.84 up.

Tested using this setting at 3 am and I got A+ and no increase at all during load. This result was repeated multiple times.
ZP0dqsj.png

But when I tested later at around 5:45 am, got a B rating and there was a big increase in loaded latency during upload at +56ms.
7TXGgtG.png

Why? I didn't change anything between the tests?

I have since rebooted both modem and router, but the increased latency (only on upload) persists.

Cable signals look normal in the modem diagnostic page.

I've been using Rogers cable for ages and upload been at 30Mbps for years and I've been using the Cake setting of 28.84 for a year or two no problem. Only the XB8 modem is new.

Why does this happen?

RT-AX86U on Merlin v3004.388.7

Rogers internet advertised speed is 150/30, actually getting around 300-500 down, 30 up. Modem is XB8 in bridge mode.

Using 300/30 as baseline, I set Cake QoS to around 96%, 288.44 down and 28.84 up.

Tested using this setting at 3 am and I got A+ and no increase at all during load. This result was repeated multiple times.
ZP0dqsj.png

But when I tested later at around 5:45 am, got a B rating and there was a big increase in loaded latency during upload at +56ms.
7TXGgtG.png

Why? I didn't change anything between the tests?

I have since rebooted both modem and router, but the increased latency (only on upload) persists.

Cable signals look normal in the modem diagnostic page.

I've been using Rogers cable for ages and upload been at 30Mbps for years and I've been using the Cake setting of 28.84 for a year or two no problem. Only the XB8 modem is new.

Why does this happen?

Your router is not the only one on the internet! There is probably congestion someplace between you and the test server. If all parties between you are the test server are responsible network operators they will see this and fix it.

I ran some bufferbloat tests on another site and it also shows increased latency when upload is saturated.
But Netflix's fast.com test doesn't really show any increase...

I find that particular website to be inconsistent. I prefer fast.com; click on settings and check each box. The closer the loaded and unloaded latency are, the better.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!