What's new

Synology RT2600ac and WPS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SpeedThree

Regular Contributor
Following the instructions for my RT2600ac, I went to Wi Fi Settings > WiFi Connect > WPS and set it to use WPS to connect the smartphones of our guests to the guest_lan I configured.

I then took my wife's iPhone, and after tapping the WPS button on the Synology router and seeing that button was blinking, on the iPhone I navigated to Settings > WiFi > our guest_lan > Join This Network. No password was entered and after two minutes the WPS button stopped blinking.

Next I opened the SRM in my browser, logged onto the router, went to Wi Fi Settings > WiFi Connect > WPS and saw [Connection Status Ready]. I tapped the WPS button on the router again, saw it was blinking, looked at the browser and saw [Ready] had changed to [Connecting], but again, the iPhone will not connect.

The Synology instructions do say [Tap the WPS button on your client device] but of course there is no such button on an iPhone.

Any suggestions?

I suggest you don't use WPS at all.

Not enabling WPS on modern iPhones is an active choice Apple has made. It's not a fault on your router! Thanks to its insecurity WPS is usually best turned off!

If you use the "DS Router" app on your phone, you can generate a QR code to share with trusted devices...

WPS, as mentioned, isn't the best way to set up wireless connections...

Oddly enough, Synology requires WPS to be enabled on the root/host routers for their mesh implementation - by hitting that WPS button, you can knock the mesh nodes offline...

Also note, across IOS, sharing WiFi passwords is actually pretty easy....

Oddly enough, Synology requires WPS to be enabled on the root/host routers for their mesh implementation - by hitting that WPS button, you can knock the mesh nodes offline...

Note that Synology only needs WPS if one is meshing out to another Synology node...

If one isn't doing Mesh, one can (and should) disable WPS