What's new

Thecus announces new rackmount NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

corndog

Regular Contributor
Wow - this is an interesting one!

Everything else went fuzzy and my techno-lust hit a high note when I saw that it does ZFS. Drool.

However, Thecus is building a rep for having a bit of a rough-around-the-edges implementation of their NAS technology. i.e. it's not quite so polished as Infrant/Netgear, QNAP, or Synology. With a NAS this big and serious, they're definitely stepping up into the SMB market where people are going to be very very demanding about quality. They are also going to be competing with a different array of alternatives, such as the Snap Server, and some of Iomega's or Lacie's higher-end rack-mount stuff. They will need to get their ducks in a row.

please note that zfs on linux (which almost all nas-boxes are based on) is running on fuse. this means the filesystem is running in user-space which in turn makes it slow.

this probably means you will waste a lot of the potential performance of the nas running zfs.

I like the possiblilty to have up to 16TB of space with the 8 drives, but does anyone know where I can get something simular with 8 drive bays but cheaper?