What's new

Thecus N4100PRO

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi, I am also curious if anyone has attempted to upgrade the RAM? Also, is there a limit on the size of drive this unit can handle (i.e. if a 2 or 3 TB came to market in the future, could the unit work with it? Thanks

Thecus N4100PRO + XBOX 360

Can anybody confirm that this device is working with an Xbox 360 with the current firmware?

Thanks

this thread is one of the 1st links in google when you search thecus n4100pro :p

i'm having trouble with reviews of this unit and testing; has anyone found any reviews of a 'pseudo drive failure'? as in, @ RAID5, taking out a drive and seeing if you can still access the network share, and then letting it rebuild (and if its still possible to access the RAID while rebuilding?)

Sorry AkumaX. We usually do a pull-a-drive test on all RAID NASes. But looking back at the reviews, we haven't done one on the Thecus machines, at least not on the most recent ones.

I'll be sure to do the test on the N7700 that I'm currently testing.

BTW, if you pull one drive of a RAID 5 array, you should still be able to read and write normally with the drive pulled and while it is rebuilding.

this thread is one of the 1st links in google when you search thecus n4100pro :p

i'm having trouble with reviews of this unit and testing; has anyone found any reviews of a 'pseudo drive failure'? as in, @ RAID5, taking out a drive and seeing if you can still access the network share, and then letting it rebuild (and if its still possible to access the RAID while rebuilding?)
I tested my 4100Pro pulling a 1TB drive. All worked as it should. The speeds were very good with a missing drive. When I installed a new drive the rebuild worked as expected - no issues.

Last edited:
ram upgrade

Hi,

Anybody tried the RAM upgrade on this box? Please report if anyone tried?

Thanks

Voltage for the Thecus N4100PRO Power Supply

To anyone who has one of these units... Can you tell if the power supply is a voltage-switching [120V-240V] supply? I havn't been able to figure out the answer from the information on Thecus website. I doubt that it would be, but thought I'd ask anyway.

I am short-listing NAS models, and one of my considerations:
I am currently living in Europe [230V], but possibly will relocate to the US [120V] during the expected lifetime of this NAS.

I do know of a few 2-bay NAS models [like the DNS-323] which have external 120V-240V supplies, but havn't yet come across any reasonable price/performance 4-bay NAS models that with 120V-240V supplies.

BTW, I would be purchasing the N4100Pro from an online supplier in Europe in case that makes a difference.

Any information would be appreciated...

Hi, I am also curious if anyone has attempted to upgrade the RAM? Also, is there a limit on the size of drive this unit can handle (i.e. if a 2 or 3 TB came to market in the future, could the unit work with it? Thanks

I'll see if I can find the reference to the RAM on another Thecus forum, but the largest ram upgrade I've seen so far is 1 Gb of SODIM on a single module.

I can say that I installed 4x 2 TB drives in my new N4100Pro this week and so far, so good. I'm having AC problems so the room with computers is frequently around 86 degrees. The unit is showing an average temp of only 104 F or 40 C. That seems pretty darn good to me. I am at work so I can't look up the model, but the drives are Western Digital. They are the ONLY 2 TB drive listed on Thecus.com's approved hard drive list.

If I could install the 1 GB of RAM without voiding my warrenty on the N4100Pro I would do it in a heartbeat.

L8r,
Don

Re: Voltage for the Thecus N4100PRO Power Supply

To anyone who has one of these units... Can you tell if the power supply is a voltage-switching [120V-240V] supply? I havn't been able to figure out the answer from the information on Thecus website. I doubt that it would be, but thought I'd ask anyway.

I went ahead and ordered the N4100PRO without knowing the answer. I can't tell from looking at the unit itself - there is no voltage label like found on some products. However, I discovered that the Users' Guide H/W appendix states:

Power Supply: Server-rated AC power supply 100/220V AC, 50/60Hz, Auto-detect​

I am pleased :eek:

Streaming to Xbox 360

Can anybody confirm that this device is working with an Xbox 360 with the current firmware?

Thanks

After much pain, we finally got the N4100Pro to stream to the Xbox 360. I'll see if I can remember how we did it so others can try the same.

1. we upgraded the n4100pro firmware to the latest version (don't know if this is necessary, just something we do to remove solved bugs)
2. in the firmware release notes, we saw that UPnP only works over the WAN (top ethernet port), so setup comms over that.
3. after configuring the HDDs for Raid or Jbod, Media Server appeared in the Network drop-down menu - so enabled that.
4. Enabled UPnP.
5. Installed the uShare module for the 5200 (http://www.onbeat.dk/thecus/index.php/N5200_Module:_USHARE) and selected the Xbox360 option.
6. ... I think that was all ...

However, in the process of giving up on it and trying again, we tried the TwonkyMedia module (http://www.onbeat.dk/thecus/index.php/N5200_Module:_TWONKYMEDIA) and found it to be far superior. Mediabolic just dumps all of the files in a flat structure, but Twonky keeps the directory structure. It doesn't require UPnP to be enabled, doesn't require uShare, and it worked on both WAN and LAN ports. It looks like it will be well worth the license fee. Still got the 30 day trial to decide, but so far it looks very good.

I upgraded the firmware today to 3.0.x. The web interface is AJAX based now, I don't see any biggies to it over the old interface. I did find they improved the email notification support, Gmail now works.

Fan

Hello all,

I've had my N4100Pro up and running for about 6 weeks now and recently discovered the system fan is not always working. Last week it overheated due to this. Since then the fan doesn't always come on when I power up the system. I'm thinking I'd rather replace the fan myself than do a warranty repair. When I was doing my research before buying my NAS, I know I saw an article on how to do this, but I haven't been able to find the link again. It doesn't look like it will be hard to do, but I wouldn't mind having the reference. Has anyone done this or seen the link I'm referring to?

Thanks!

Should be very easy to do. The fan is mounted to the rear panel, which can be dropped after untightening three thumbscrews.

Well, I've upgraded the fan now, but I'm still having problems. The new fan has an LED so it's easy for me to monitor if it's on or not. I hit the power button on the NAS, the fan comes on (LEDs glow, there is a breeze if I hold my hand behind the unit). About 2-3 seconds after the POST beep, the fan shuts off.

Any suggestions? I'd really rather not have to deal with tech support over a fan issue. The fan I installed is an Aerocool 92mm Silver Lightning. I've been using Aerocool fans in my desktops for years without issue.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!