What's new

What is the STUN client?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lee MacMillan

I was looking at the device traffic today and saw that on my wife's iPhone, there was over 1GB download and 1GB upload yesterday with the client name STUN. All she does in text, Instagram, a little browsing, and phone calls. I've never seen that client name before. She did make a long Facetime call yesterday, probably over an hour. Could that have been it?

I was looking at the device traffic today and saw that on my wife's iPhone, there was over 1GB download and 1GB upload yesterday with the client name STUN. All she does in text, Instagram, a little browsing, and phone calls. I've never seen that client name before. She did make a long Facetime call yesterday, probably over an hour. Could that have been it?
Very likely the facetime call did the most damage...

"STUN is a toolset for NAT traversal in IP networks. Originally it was intended for usage with UDP datagrams, but has later been extended to work with other transports, as well. STUN is used to resolve the public IP of a device running behind a NAT, to solve problems such as one-way audio during a phone call or phone registration issues when trying to register to a VoIP or an IP PBX residing on a different network."

Very likely the facetime call did the most damage...

"STUN is a toolset for NAT traversal in IP networks. Originally it was intended for usage with UDP datagrams, but has later been extended to work with other transports, as well. STUN is used to resolve the public IP of a device running behind a NAT, to solve problems such as one-way audio during a phone call or phone registration issues when trying to register to a VoIP or an IP PBX residing on a different network."
I read that before I posted but it may have well been written in Chinese as far as understanding it!

I read that before I posted but it may have well been written in Chinese as far as understanding it!
Its basically a way for your iPhone to remain visible to the outside world, even when it's supposedly invisible and well-protected behind your router/firewall, allowing it to make itself available for 2-way video/audio calls. ;)

Noticed STUN on our network passing GBs of data, approximately the same time another Forum Member posted a Malware Issue. I did my due diligence, and googled my fears away. Yet those horrible feelings of "being infected" were truly unpleasant!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!