What's new

1 router, 2 Repeaters. Smooth handoff

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

osmosizzz

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I have to cover a large building. I have 1 Netgear N600 and 2 Amped SR10000. I have them set up but issue is handoff. my mobile devices do not automatically change from lowest signal to strongest. so basically this is what i am thinking of now doing.

I am going to set up the n600 and not broadcast the SSID on the 2.4Ghz band and shut off the 5GHz band. In the setting of the repeaters, I was going to set it to static IP and disable the DCHP so the main router (n600) deals with all of the ip management. I am going to assign all the same SSID, same password and same method of protection (WPA2). However, I am going to set the channels for each separately.

Do you think it will work? All i want to do is go from one side of the building to the other and not have to manually switch to the strongest connection, but with my setup, unfortunately it's not happening.

Thanks in advance

in consumer WiFi, best-AP selection by clients doesn't happen - because IEEE 802.11 has no "mobility management". Enterprise scale WiFi (with a controller) does do "directed handoff".

Best you can do is give each AP a unique SSID so the user can choose the one known to be closest based on the words in the SSID.

And I'd try to replace WDS repeaters with APs, backhauled via MoCA or Power Line IP. See the forum section on those.

The only consumer-level system that can do seamless roaming is Ubiquiti UniFi, which now supports it. It uses the same system as Meru - it's not "real" roaming (which ONLY exists with Cisco), rather it only allows you one channel and it presents all the AP's as being one (same MAC, same channel).

Other than UniFi, I recommend the exact opposite of Steve :) - use the same SSID, different non-overlapping channels, and hope for the best (in other words your current plan). Your devices will generally do far better than your users have a hope of doing having to pick a new network name as they walk around with their phones and tablets! This will work pretty well with most clients but it will NOT be a "smooth handoff" - VoIP calls WILL drop. The BEST radio stacks (like an iPhone) will only lose signal for a couple seconds. The WORST (like Windows XP) will just hang on for dear life to an AP they can't really talk with and need Wi-Fi cycled off/on to pick up the strongest AP. Android is in between.

You have three choices for smooth handoffs:

- Cisco Aironet with a controller. VERY expensive but THE industry standard for VoIP and the only system with true fast roaming.
- Meru. Very expensive system again, uses technique described above (limits you to one channel).
- Ubiquiti UniFi. Basically the same technique Meru uses for $60/AP and a controller that's free software :)

As for repeaters - DON'T DO IT, hardwire in every AP, by powerline if you must.

Other than UniFi, I recommend the exact opposite of Steve :) - use the same SSID, different non-overlapping channels, and hope for the best
As reported by many here and elsewhere, most but not all WiFi client devices will not search for a better Access device, be it AP, Router, Repeater. Bridge. If none is selected (power on/wakeup), many/most choose the first-heard with an SSID that's in the preferred list.

that's why the suggestion that the burden falls upon the user to choose. And to do that, each access device needs to have a unique SSID, or have its MAC address displayed if unique SSIDs aren't displayed. And the user must choose based on signal strength or knowing that "FamilyRoom" SSID is nearby.

Channel numbers don't reallyl mean anything in the scenario, above.

As reported by many here and elsewhere, most but not all WiFi client devices will not search for a better Access device, be it AP, Router, Repeater. Bridge. If none is selected (power on/wakeup), many/most choose the first-heard with an SSID that's in the preferred list.

that's why the suggestion that the burden falls upon the user to choose. And to do that, each access device needs to have a unique SSID, or have its MAC address displayed if unique SSIDs aren't displayed. And the user must choose based on signal strength or knowing that "FamilyRoom" SSID is nearby.

Channel numbers don't reallyl mean anything in the scenario, above.

Eh, I've found they DO. They can take FOREVER though... If Android is attached to a reasonably usable AP it can be an hour before it attaches to a closer one, for example. Mac and iOS do much better about this.

My question for you is do you really think any of your clients will do BETTER than changing SSID even within an hour of moving closer to another AP? Of course not! And their computers/devices will constantly try to change back to the most preferred SSID even if it's weak. It's much easier for them to force a Wi-Fi off/on to grab a closer AP than it is to remember to change SSID's, and the computer won't randomly decide to switch back to the first SSID it ever saw.

And yes, channels matter - a lot. Even for home users. Imagine boy on his Xbox playing a game on one AP, girl on her iPod streaming YouTube on another AP, and mom and dad on Netflix on a third AP. These need to be non-overlapping channels. Maybe the SAME channel but that'd be silly when you have more channels to use (less speed for no reason). I've seen so many people setup channels 1-2-3 on their own. It works fine until there's a load. Nevermind a house party with tons of iPhones! Even in a home environment, 1-6-11 or 1-5-9-13 need to be practiced.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online