What's new

1900ac and Logging

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jay13

New Around Here
Bought a 1900ac when my E3000 crapped out. Wallwatcher won't work and I can't find any remote logging settings in the router firmware. I did open up the UDP ports 162-514 under IPv6 in the firmware for the IP address of the computer running Wallwatcher, but no effect. Wallwatcher can ping the router, so it would appear that the 1900ac just isn't forwarding the traffic info. Tried LinkLogger also, same result.

For a top end router, has Linksys just made this one too consumer oriented?

TIA

Can't help you with remote logging, but there is much better logging available via a special "hidden" page on this router:

192.168.1.1/sysinfo.cgi

where you replace the "192.168.1.1" with the IP address of your router. This special router status web page has a whole load of logging, ps and top output, and so on.

I agree that Linksys/Belkin/Marvell has gone above and beyond in its efforts to make this router into a black box device. You're left with an expensive router that is missing functionality available in lower cost routers addressing the same market. Very little monitoring capability other than the "hidden" pages that you can find addresses for in the Linksys community forum if you read a bunch.

And Linksys (probably Marvell, actually) has pretty much eliminated or indefinitely delayed the chances of third-party firmware that would provide more functionality and monitoring capability by not cooperating with the open source firmware sites that would like to create firmware for it. Even though it says all over the marketing literature and box that it will have open source firmware.

Interesting business plan.

Sadly, the WRT1900ac doesn't have robust reporting that can be exported out - would be awesome to have a well documented SNMP implementation and being able to export out certain items to a syslog server would be helpful.

But these are features/functions that most folks don't really care about...

Seems that Linksys' efforts to date have been focused on the crashing bugs rather than implementing additional features.

Which is fine by me...

I see what you meant by the changelog within the source code, and it's not so comforting that maybe they didn't update the README... it makes me wonder WHAT version is really in there!........M.........

Last edited:
Can't help you with remote logging, but there is much better logging available via a special "hidden" page on this router:

192.168.1.1/sysinfo.cgi

where you replace the "192.168.1.1" with the IP address of your router. This special router status web page has a whole load of logging, ps and top output, and so on.

I agree that Linksys/Belkin/Marvell has gone above and beyond in its efforts to make this router into a black box device. You're left with an expensive router that is missing functionality available in lower cost routers addressing the same market. Very little monitoring capability other than the "hidden" pages that you can find addresses for in the Linksys community forum if you read a bunch.

And Linksys (probably Marvell, actually) has pretty much eliminated or indefinitely delayed the chances of third-party firmware that would provide more functionality and monitoring capability by not cooperating with the open source firmware sites that would like to create firmware for it. Even though it says all over the marketing literature and box that it will have open source firmware.

Interesting business plan.

Thanks much. Very frustrating. I don't understand much of what's on that page, but the router up-time is helpful at least.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!