What's new

1gig fiber internet fast ethernet but slow Wi-Fi possible solution?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

collector930

New Around Here
Hi,

I found something interesting during my recent upgrade from 500Mb/s to 1Gb/s fiber internet, and wonder if anyone has similar experience: fast ethernet but Wi-Fi speed. After the upgrade, I bought 2 new Wi-Fi 6/6E routers from Asus and TP-Link and returned them, since I was only getting < 400Mb/s over Wi-Fi, but 940Mb/s over ethernet, because I read many online and YouTube reviews that showed Wi-Fi speedtest results of 750-900Mb/s for those 2 routers. The routers were put in AP mode, so no QoS or Traffic Analysis problems.

I wonder if anyone bought and returned routers like me because of apparent slow Wi-Fi, but fast ethernet, speed. :oops:

Long story short: I think speedtest apps and websites were the problem. I tested more than a dozen iOS speedtest apps and more than a dozen speedtest websites, and all of them showed < 400Mb/s Wi-Fi speed, for iPhone 12 Pro Max and 4 Windows 10/11 AC/AX laptops (80Mhz), except for 2 apps and 2 websites.

After this discovery, I can get Wi-Fi download speeds of 750-850 Mb/s (80Mhz), comparable to those I get from local speedtests like iperf3 and OpenSpeedTest, from my Asus XD6.

But I still don't know why there is such a big difference in speedtest app/website results, i.e., from 400Mb/s to 800Mb/s. Maybe someone knows and can comment.

FYI. Speedtest apps: SpeedSmart by VeeApps and HighSpeedInternet by Clear Link Tech. Websites: speakeasy.net/speedtest and highspeedinternet.com/tools/speed-test/xfinity.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!