What's new

2.4 ghz Slow speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

timstack

New Around Here
Hello, I have an Asus Router RT-n66u router and updated with latest merlin firmware (65) when I am connected wirelessly to 2.4 MHz I receive very lousy speeds compared to 5 MHz. I can't get over 144Mbps. Pretty much set to Auto on router except for wireless channel set to 11. Also have Comcast and should be receiving 200 Mbps download and barely receive 85 Mbps on 2.4 MHz. What is wrong or what should my Asus Wireless router settings be for 2.4? Thank you

...when I am connected wirelessly to 2.4 MHz I receive very lousy speeds compared to 5 MHz. I can't get over 144Mbps. Also have Comcast and should be receiving 200 Mbps download and barely receive 85 Mbps on 2.4 MHz.
Hi,

Not sure if I got your question, but are you sure you got before higher wireless speeds? Remember that the N66U is a N-Standard router (not AC-Standard)... ;)

But you can check the Channel Bandwidth settings on your Wireless page of the router configuration: Change to 40 MHz should give you higher connection speeds... :rolleyes:
But keep in mind that then the channels left and right of the selected main channel are also blocked.

Hello, I have an Asus Router RT-n66u router and updated with latest merlin firmware (65) when I am connected wirelessly to 2.4 MHz I receive very lousy speeds compared to 5 MHz. I can't get over 144Mbps. Pretty much set to Auto on router except for wireless channel set to 11. Also have Comcast and should be receiving 200 Mbps download and barely receive 85 Mbps on 2.4 MHz. What is wrong or what should my Asus Wireless router settings be for 2.4? Thank you

I wouldn't use auto channel setting. Make sure your selected channel is least interfered with your neighbors. Run some thing like Acrylic or inSSIDer to survey your neighborhood regarding WiFi signal congestion specially in 2.4GHz.

Change to 40 MHz should give you higher

to force 40mhz you will also need to go to the advanced menu for the 2.4 gig wifi and disable obss coexistence which is not a nice thing to do to your neighbor

however even when you do this you would only get 300Mbps sync as that is the limitation of your wifi adapter in 2.4 gig dont forget wifi is 1/2 duplex so sync is halved and then add in overheads

the 5 gig part of the adapter depending on its make and model could sync at much higher rates eg if its wireless ac maybe 867M or 1300M

the throughput over 5 gig is far greater as long as your not a long way from the router and if you are not to far from the router always use 5 gig as its why its there

5 gig has greater throughput but less coverage

2.4 gig has less throughput but greater coverage

Last edited:
Don't go there...
So I set the 2.4 to 20 MHz and it got a little better speed but not what I should be receiving from Comcast (200 Mbps) only about 75 Mbps. Also I went into my wireless card advanced and changed to 20 Mhz Only is this correct to do??? disable obss coexistence I don't see in my asus wireless settings???

1.) How many other 2.4GHz networks do you see locally?
-- unless you live in the middle of nowhere with no neighbors, it is unlikely the 2.4GHz airspace is clean
-- I am not in a crowed neighborhood (~30' between houses) and my 2.4GHz speeds rarely top 100Mbps, while my 5GHz speeds are in the 300-400Mbps range

2.) What are the radio specs of the client you are testing with?
-- Looking to understand what the real and max link speeds are for the client

3.) Why are you trying to get more speed out of 2.4GHz instead of using 5GHz?
-- 2.4GHz should be used for range, not speed
-- 5GHz should be used for speed, not range