What's new

2.4Ghz Downlink Chart confusion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dieter

Hello,

I own a DIR-655, and using Ookla, I get 130Mbps download using the Comcast BLAST service (150Mbps) to my WiFi Thinkpad laptop. On the DIR-655, the Wireless Status display shows a RATE of 300Mpbs from my laptop.

Yet, the DIR-655 on the SNB 2.4Ghz downlink chart is listed at 28.9.

What does this 28.9 mean compared to the results I am realizing? Or, what is the difference between Downlink vs Download performance?

Dieter

Click the TEST INFORMATION button above that chart to see how it is actually tested.

Your indicated connection speeds are no indication of actual throughput.

"Downlink" means data flows from router to client device.

To me, this means download performance.

Why am I getting much much better performance?

Where am I going wrong?

Last edited:
The actual throughput you get will depend on many factors including distance from client, the specific client (and driver) used, the channel chosen and the surrounding wifi environment (including building spec's).

The best way to use the charts is to use them as a comparative measure between two identically tested routers.

No real comparison possible to real world except for maybe maximum throughput at close distance with little/no interference and the same or better client as used in the specific test.

I understand that. But how is it possible for me to realize 5x better Downlink performance than the Chart numbers?
I still don't get it.
I will further study the Test Info.

But how is it possible for me to realize 5x better Downlink performance than the Chart numbers?

The actual throughput you get will depend on many factors including distance from client, the specific client (and driver) used, the channel chosen and the surrounding wifi environment (including building spec's).

The best way to use the charts is to use them as a comparative measure between two identically tested routers.

No real comparison possible to real world except for maybe maximum throughput at close distance with little/no interference and the same or better client as used in the specific test.

You're not getting 5x the performance, the above explains why you're not. ;)

I get 130Mbps download using the Comcast BLAST service (150Mbps)

on average 300M 2.4 gig can do about 15 MB/s average max actual throughput or a little over which would equate to about 120Mbps or a little over , so 130Mbps is doing about as good as 2.4 will get at 300Mbps

the review is pretty old as is the router and i assume test procedure at the time and the fact that the 655 is a draft N router , but i think the download results are based on 20mhz testing based on what i can gleam from page 7 of the review

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...outer-reviewdraft-20-arrives?showall=&start=6

so your results are prob to be expected although you must be pretty close to the router to get 300Mbps and the throughput you are getting

i will say however the max wan to lan throughput for your router is only
WAN - LAN
231Mbps

and once qos and router features are re enabled you can prob halve that so your prob banging on the door of max throughput the 655 can do anyway which is prob pushing it a bit hard , prob time to retire that old beast and look at something with better throughput

Last edited:
I own a DIR-655, and using Ookla, I get 130Mbps download using the Comcast BLAST service (150Mbps) to my WiFi Thinkpad laptop. On the DIR-655, the Wireless Status display shows a RATE of 300Mpbs from my laptop.

Yet, the DIR-655 on the SNB 2.4Ghz downlink chart is listed at 28.9.

What does this 28.9 mean compared to the results I am realizing? Or, what is the difference between Downlink vs Download performance?

SpeedTest shows the WAN/LAN performance - not the link performance...

Your Router/AP, when you look at client connection status, shows the WiFi connection only, so even there, it's not going to accurately reflect what you might see with different clients across the LAN/WLAN when transferring files...

on average 300M 2.4 gig can do about 15 MB/s average max actual throughput or a little over which would equate to about 120Mbps or a little over , so 130Mbps is doing about as good as 2.4 will get at 300Mbps

the review is pretty old as is the router and i assume test procedure at the time and the fact that the 655 is a draft N router , but i think the download results are based on 20mhz testing based on what i can gleam from page 7 of the review

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...outer-reviewdraft-20-arrives?showall=&start=6

so your results are prob to be expected although you must be pretty close to the router to get 300Mbps and the throughput you are getting

i will say however the max wan to lan throughput for your router is only
WAN - LAN
231Mbps

and once qos and router features are re enabled you can prob halve that so your prob banging on the door of max throughput the 655 can do anyway which is prob pushing it a bit hard , prob time to retire that old beast and look at something with better throughput

Thanks. I'm getting 120Mbps on Ookla, with QoS turned ON. However, the reason for looking at other routers is that the 655 WiFi intermittently drops to about 50Mbps, for prolonged periods of time and for no good reason. Once I reboot, it is back to 120Mbps.

After much analysis for my needs, I have pre-ordered the RT-AC68A ($124) from Amazon. Asus support says it is identical to the AC68U and W, with a little improvement in signal reach. The RT-AC68A will not be released until 4/18. I'm willing to take the risk.

RT-AC68A ($124) from Amazon. Asus support says it is identical to the AC68U and W,
will be interesting to see what it actually is as it does not make sense that its cheaper if it is exactly the same , maybe they are rebadged version 1 68u's with the 800mhz cpu

will be interesting to see what it actually is as it does not make sense that its cheaper if it is exactly the same , maybe they are rebadged version 1 68u's with the 800mhz cpu

Meh - now that 1GHz chips are shipping, and have been for some time - it's probably the same as any RT-68 series...

Asus picking up nickels in the parking lot now that they've moved on to the RT-AC3100/AC88U/AC-5300 where the big box sales are...

Default view for Wireless benchmarks is AVERAGE of all measurements. Use the dropdown selector next to benchmark name to get other views. Selecting MAXIMUM shows 67.4 Mbps for the DIR-655.

2.4 GHz testing is always done in 20 MHz mode, which is stated in the How We Test articles. Since your client is reporting 300 Mbps link rate you are using 40 MHz bandwidth. So the 130 Mbps you are seeing is reasonable, depending on the adapter you are using.

Thank you, Tim. This makes sense.
I just posted another question regarding the differences between the Downlink and Downlink Profile test. Can you pls help.
Dieter