What's new

2.5 moca extension

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

art3276

New Around Here
When I bought my house the satellite tv antenna was mounted on the roof of a detached garage with RG6 quad shield cable going to the receiver underground to the house. I didn't use the dish so I repurposed the cable for MoCa 1.0 protocol to get network connectivity to the garage. So I have on adaptor near my switch in the house and another in the garage, works as it should. I added a forth bay on the detached garage and additional out building which I would like to add network connectivity to both and at the same time upgrade to MoCa 2.5. The added sections I plan to use RG11 and daisy chain from original location in the garage. Can that be done or do they have to be all home runs to the original garage location?

daisy chain using a moca 2 rated splitter is one way. Other way is to do point to point dedicated coax runs and using a Gbit switch to connect the moca modems to the same ethernet. Requires one more modem and a switch instead of a 3+ port splitter.
Upgrading is just changing out the modems if you want all nodes to have same speed possible.

Is the power in the existing garage and the new out buildings fed off of the same breaker panel or do the out buildings have a sub panel with separate earth/ground rod ?

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!