What's new

2.5Gbe network without 2.5 router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

moryoav

New Around Here
I have a router that doesn't have 2.5Gbe ports at all connected to wired based mesh, everything works great. If I connect the router to a 2.5Gbe switch, that switch to my 2.5Gbe compatible NAS, then connect this switch also to another computer with 2.5Gbe port, will I have a 2.5Gb connection between this computer and the NAS?

I believe that is correct. I think the traffic will take the shortest path, so to speak.

It'll work just fine. The router will be performing some administration on the network, but the data between the devices is routed directly not via the router. Just read up on the 2.5Gbps switches because there are a few out there that have some problems with specific cards/interfaces (inc the one here which for me has been working flawlessly for an age).

Yes, that is a typical usage scenario and will allow full speed if the devices on both ends can send/receive fast enough. But don't expect to see full 2.5 gbps speeds. Its pretty easy to saturate 1 gbps ethernet, but the best I've seen for sustained transfer speeds with large files is about 2-2.2 gbps with an SSD on the computer and striped spinning disks on the NAS. Small file transfer speeds probably won't be much better than when using a 1 gbps connection.