What's new

2 E-4200's and now back to WNDR3700! Read on

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cc666

Very Senior Member
Purchased initial E-4200 about a week ago for 179.99. 2.4 and 5.0 were just about the same as the 3700, IPV6 worked out of the box and speed was just a tad faster than the 3700. For the above I could not justify spending 190.00 (179.99 plus tax) and returned the unit.

Best Buy put the E-4200 on sale for 149.99 yesterday. I decided to repurchase (of course I got a different unit) Got it home today set it up and it is completley different then the first one I had! WTF. NO IPV6, the range on 5.0 was terrible. I reflashed the unit with the proper 30-30-30 just to see if maybe it was a bad firmware. Set it up again and same thing. Also 2 computers would not show up in the DHCP IP list no matter what I did. I just boxed it up and its going back tomorrow. I am done with Lynksys.

Just put back up my WNDR3700 V1 with .75 and everything is back to normal and fast as hell. All in DHCP reservation (11 of them) and everything shows in the attached ip's. I am convince now the WNDR3700 is a better unit.

Charlie C

I suppose what they say is true about units on sale. They're all defective. :D

Odd results you had. Wireless range I can understand as many things impact wireless performance, but the IPV6 thing is really odd. Are you sure your testbed was equal to the first test? Did you remember to unplug power from the WNDR3700 (or other 5Ghz transmit sources) for the second test?

e4200

Claykin,

Of course I unplugged the 3700. It was like 2 different routers. IPV6 was tested under identical conditions. I am not sure if its defective or not. I am going to try one more and if thats the same then I will be done. I will post later today after I set it up.

Charlie C

OK - It WAS defective!

Just returned the router as defective and got another one. It is like night and day. This router is perfect, everything works and streams are lightning fast.
I definatly had a defective router. Now finally I can replace the 3700 with the E-4200!

Charlie C

Sounds like your getting different results when you use these wireless routers.

how did you test IPv6?
Just curious of what made you jump to it early.

You must not live in the US to need IPv6. Americans don't care about IPv6:rolleyes:

I wonder if Linksys released a firmware upgrade since then? Also wifi cards in your client systems?

Americans don't care about IPv6:rolleyes:

(on soap box)

Where did you come up with that?

Why is it that everyone likes to complain about American's, yet the likelihood is that the Internet you know today wouldn't yet exist if it wasn't for American foresight and engineering of the 1960's+.

IPV6 is coming. A "world day" to test it. Not an American day, a world day. Oh, how many non American companies do you see on this World list?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_IPv6_Day

(off soap box)

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!