What's new

2 new G300NH units same problem please help! :(

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

powerleakin

Occasional Visitor
hi guys. just received two sets of G300NH. Flashed both to fw1.77
Thought of using them to finally upgrade my 11g home network.

At the moment my 11g router works excellent with my 720p videos (wireless streaming from wired NAS), it struggles with 1080p videos though.

So, when I set up the G300NH, I was surprised to see it straight away was struggling to streaming 720p. So i decided to do some proper analysis.

I opened FIlezilla and tried to do upload and download of a 700mb file between my (wireless) laptop and the (wired) NAS first on the 11g router and the G300NH. The results were extremely shocking.

WRT54GL(stock fw)
download average: 3 MB/s
upload: didn't measure. cause 3MB/s i felt showed that all was well on a 54Mbps g-network.

G300NH (fw1.77)
download: average around 700KB/s max 1MB/s...seemed very choppy...wasnt fluid or smooth
upload: extremely smooth, not choppy at all... average around 15MB/s , went up to 20MB/s

I could not explain this. Tried resetting the unit, no change. Tried downgrading to fw1.76, no change. Tried second unit, also same...extremely low wlan download speed, normal upload speed. Tried different channels and WPA/WPA2 mixed mode also same thing.

It cant be that both units I got were faulty, could they? :(

Please help.

Make sure the router is in 20 MHz bandwidth mode. You also might try setting it to 11g mode if you have that option.

If you can somehow get a link rate reading from the Mac wireless properties that would help.

How is upload speed?

Make sure the router is in 20 MHz bandwidth mode. You also might try setting it to 11g mode if you have that option.

If you can somehow get a link rate reading from the Mac wireless properties that would help.

How is upload speed?

thanks for the suggestion thiggins. i did leave it at 300mbps/40mhz mode..will try it at 20mhz now and let you know.

the link rate on the mbp just now was 130 (Mbps i presume). upload speed is excellent, ranging from 15 to 20 MB/s

here's hoping the 20mhz gives some good news..

The router should have defaulted to 20MHz mode in 2.4 GHz. This is the recommended setting. 40 MHz mode eats up a lot of bandwidth and doesn't really improve performance. Under lower signal levels, it hurts performance.

Also make sure you have at least 10 feet between router and client if they are in the same room. Closer and you could overload one or both receivers.

good news..now download has increased to around 5MB/s after switching to 20mhz.... would that be the max i could get? i'm like 15-20 feet away with two walls in between...Carried the laptop to the router room just now while half transferring and i think then it went up to 10MB/s download...

EDIT: additional info. 15mb pdf file when uploading to the NAS average speed is between 6-10MB/s. When download from NAS, average speed is 1-3MB/s. This is the 15 feet away location. This is so much better than the 1MB/s max download i was getting on the 40mhz mode, but i can't refrain from thinking if the upload can reach 6-10MB/s why not the download ? is the fault now on my mbp's wlan card? thanks so much for your help, i was so worried i had to return the two units.

Last edited:
Sounds like your results are in line now with what is normal.

I often get different results from up and download when testing products. Can be due to many things. You could try using a different client, but it might not help.

Also, connect your MacBook via a wired connection (be sure to shut off wireless) and try your Up/download test from the NAS. Could be due to the NAS.

ok thank you so much...i'm quite relieved now. spent the whole day on this. will do some more analysis tomorrow and inform you about it. thanks again!

oh no...unfortunately yesterday's results were more of just coincidence then a direct effect of 20mhz....today i just rebooted the router and it went back to <1MB/s. No settings changed, just reboot.

Thought i'll reflash the fw and reset to factory(20mhz default), again still <1MB/s.

faulty? :(

EDIT: connected laptop through gigabit lan directly still ftp transfer below 1MB/s only for download...upload fine, 20MB/s constant

Last edited: