What's new

2 x AC68U's Meshed in backhaul - Thinking of adding XT8 as Main

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

javadudd

New Around Here
Hi looking for some advice.

So I currently have 2 AC68's one as the main router and one as an AiMesh Node in backhaul.

I was thinking of adding the AX XT8 primarily to extend the wifi network to the bottom of the Garden which is about 15M from the AC68's Mesh Node.

There is a conservatory in between that about 5m worth.

Option1
So my thinking is to either add the XT8 as a wireless mesh node to the end of the conservatory which should extend to the bottom of the garden 10m?

or

Option2
Add the XT8 as the main Router which would backhaul to the current AC68 Mesh node - then use the original main Router as a wireless mesh node in the conservatory to extend to the bottom of the garden.
This sounds a better option in my head as it would make more use of the XT8 features and central to the House.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks

AiMesh Node in backhaul

Wired or wireless?

Anything dual-band and wireless is a repeater. It will cut down the throughput to connected to it clients in half due to retransmissions. Mixing different generations routers for AiMesh is not a very good idea. AiMesh works best with identical units and wired. Perhaps total system refresh is a better idea? I personally can't recommend XT8 sets. Based on user feedback here on SNB Forums this model often creates issues, mostly firmware related.

Option3 - 2x RT-AX86U Pro new routers replacing your old 2x RT-AC68U may provide the extra coverage you need, third unit may not be needed.

Last edited:
New nodes is not the best approach to AiMesh... upgrade the AiMesh router and build out from there.

OE

Thanks for the suggestion.

Sorry I thought backhaul meant wired mesh - so yes they are currently wired. The 3rd addition would be wireless.

I was thinking along the lines as a gradual upgrade the 2x AC86's are around £440
Where as the XT8 would be £185 and if it worked as anticipated it would be fine.

New nodes is not the best approach to AiMesh... upgrade the AiMesh router and build out from there.

OE

Thanks

The system as it is works well and don't really want to spend a huge amount to extend the wifi externally.
Would an extender such as the AX58 be a possible alternative?

If you go for an extender - any brand will work in similar way, not necessarily Asus and AiMesh compatible.

If you go for an extender - any brand will work in similar way, not necessarily Asus and AiMesh compatible.
Or possibly as a better option go for one 86U to begin with as the Main router as an prolonged upgrade process?

You can get one RT-AX86U Pro for main router, but your old nodes won't be compatible with all the features available in Asuswrt 5.0 firmware. For example extending the new Guest Network Pro to nodes won't work. You have to replace the old routers at some point. They are holding you back.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!