What's new

2x2 and 2x3 query

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

keratos

Thinking of buying an RT-AC66U.

So it has 3 streams on each of the 2 radios.

None of our client devices have 3 streams, just 1 or 2 at most.

So recognising that bandwidth is shared on any given radio, can 2 stream clients connect to any two of the three streams offered on a band, or would all clients use the same two streams thus leaving one stream always redundant.

If the former, then there is a case for using the 3 stream router as it provides greater bandwidth and less "sharing" so increased throughput.

If on the other hand only two specific streams are always used, then there isnt a case really for buying a 66U, I may as well go for another AC56U (2x2)

?

Link rate of a wireless connection and therefore maximum throughput is determined by the slowest device. Two stream N devices (N300 or N600 class) support at most 300 Mbps. Two stream AC devices (AC750) support at most 300 Mbps in 2.4 GHz and 867 Mbps in 5 GHz.

The only benefit to using a higher class router than the clients you have is that the router may have a more powerful processor, which can improve throughput.

You could always purchase some 3 antenna adapters like the Netgear (N900) WNDA4100 i use 2 of them and they work great get full 120/23 speeds wireless through my AC68U using them. My next purchase will be a few AC adapters but been holding off because i get my full speeds now using radio N.

My understanding is that OP is asking if two clients, each capable of using two streams, can use different sets of streams such that there is only one stream shared between the two clients.

I'm not an expert on how wifi works, so I can't give a definitive answer, but it's possible that streams are not shared between clients.

It could be the case that the router would only be sending a signal intended for one client across whatever number of streams that client supports, at any given point in time. The other client would spend that moment waiting for its turn.

If the router wanted to send two streams worth of data to two different clients, it couldn't fit that into three streams on that radio. It's possible that one 2 stream client and a 1 stream client both received data in that same block of time, and I think that may be how multi-user MIMO works in the upcoming AC routers. That said, I don't think that's how it works now.

My understanding is that OP is asking if two clients, each capable of using two streams, can use different sets of streams such that there is only one stream shared between the two clients.

I'm not an expert on how wifi works, so I can't give a definitive answer, but it's possible that streams are not shared between clients.

It could be the case that the router would only be sending a signal intended for one client across whatever number of streams that client supports, at any given point in time. The other client would spend that moment waiting for its turn.

If the router wanted to send two streams worth of data to two different clients, it couldn't fit that into three streams on that radio. It's possible that one 2 stream client and a 1 stream client both received data in that same block of time, and I think that may be how multi-user MIMO works in the upcoming AC routers. That said, I don't think that's how it works now.

Thank you sir. At last. An insightful and intelligent response.
Yes I was wondering whether MIMO meant that a 1 stream client and a 2 stream client could communicate concurrently over 3 streams. This is precisely the question. I agree with you on this and also agree that it's not clear whether current standard implements this common sense .

Any idea where I might be able to source similar info?

a three stream router will work fine with 1 and 2 stream clients - you might see a bit more range, but no more bandwidth than what the client can manage over the air.

I say might, and there are those who will disagree with me...

As Tim Higgins mentioned though - most three stream routers have more memory and compute horsepower - and this is a plus if you're adding things like a Network Attached Storage (shared network drive), media server, or have many clients trying to use the same AP/Router.

In other words, look at your needs and requirements - there's many that would say spend the $200-250 for the latest/greatest - but there's some really good gear in the 70-100 dollar range that might meet your needs. If you go with a tier one brand - e.g. Linksys, Netgear, Asus, Buffalo, Apple - most N300 products will be fine... esp. if you're just looking to get a device hooked up and running over wifi/ethernet.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!