What's new

[384.5 + 68U] can’t access client LAN from OpenVPN server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

roger-

New Around Here
I’m trying to set up a OpenVPN server to 1) provide internet access for all clients and 2) allow other clients (and devices on the server’s network) LANs to access each other. The main client I’m interested in accessing also runs Merlin.

I previously had this working using PPTP on a different router but I wanted to switch to OpenVPN.

Currently clients can access the internet through the VPN and clients can access the router’s config page (on 192.168.1.1) but I can’t access devices on a client’s LAN (e.g. 192.168.0.69).

This is my server configuration: https://imgur.com/a/qixDa6j

EDIT: I’m able to access the server’s LAN from a client but not other clients.
Any idea how I can access the client LAN?

Last edited:
I’m trying to set up a OpenVPN server to 1) provide internet access for all clients and 2) allow other clients (and devices on the server’s network) LANs to access each other. The main client I’m interested in accessing also runs Merlin.

I previously had this working using PPTP on a different router but I wanted to switch to OpenVPN.

Currently clients can access the internet through the VPN and clients can access the router’s config page (on 192.168.1.1) but I can’t access devices on a client’s LAN (e.g. 192.168.0.69).

This is my server configuration: https://imgur.com/a/qixDa6j

Any idea how I can access the client LAN?
Minimize the advanced settings and you should see three options. One includes lan access.

To clarify: your remote clients are on 192.168.0.n and your vpn server on your home network runs on your router at 192.168.1.1, and when the remote clients have initiated and established the vpn connection to your router, you want to be able, from your home network, to now access the remote client’s LAN. Is that correct?

Yes that’s right!
I don’t know if it’s possible, and I can think of a couple of reasons why, for security reasons, it ought not to be possible.

It’s a long time since I read up on SSH but I think it can be done with SSH, but then again I might have totally misunderstood the meaning of “remote port forwarding” in SSH.

Last edited:
From my reading I feel like it should be possible to configure the routing table to accomplish this.

I’m now trying to configure various routing tables to let me communicate with 192.168.0.69 on a clients LAN (with virtual address 10.8.0.2) from a PC on the server’s LAN with IP 192.168.1.167.

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I recently updated the client and server routers to 386.5 (with VPN Director) and I'm again having the issue where client side (0.x) devices can access the server/router (1.x) over the VPN but not the other way around.

Does something need to be done differently now?

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!