What's new

4G-N16 opinions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Terepin

Occasional Visitor
My sister needs a 4G router for her small shop. I was thinking of recommending her this model since it sells for just 60€, but I couldn't find any reviews. The connection will be 40/10, so speed-wise it will be enough, but I am worried about range and connection stability. Can anyone share their first-hand experience with it?

Thanks.

I'm not sure if this is a good choice today. The firmware hasn't been updated since December of 2023. And although this is the suggested replacement model in the EOL list, I'd be wary of buying this model today.

As this is an N300 model, with a basic 2 antennae setup and a 2.4GHz band radio, the range may be satisfactory, if we're talking about typical NA home construction (sheetrock, 2x4, etc.).

If this is the best fit for your sister's needs today, then for the low price (and the knowledge that it may need to be replaced sooner than later), it may be all she needs.

And, with any luck, Asus will issue more firmware for this model soon.

N based options are ancient in terms of wifi tech.

How many devices need to be connected? If it's just a single device then AliExpress might be a better option and just get a modem and USB adapter and connect directly. If there's 5G service in the area then get a 5G modem for faster speeds. Speed test it with a phone to see what the potential is. Here in the US my phone will do 600/100 and my modem setup gets a top end of 400/100.

Even if it's more than one device one of the hotspot puck devices should provide either AC/AX wifi to clients and be better than the Asus.

Sorry for such late response.

My sister cannot afford to spend much on a router. The 4G-AX56 costs more than twice as much and buying it for a mere 40/10 connection while having a printer, a cash register, and a smartphone would be an overkill. And this will be in Austria.

I also noticed that Asus doesn't release that many firmware updates for their 4G routers. Dunno why.

Simple router, less things to fix on it. This router is still supported and will work well for 40/10 connection.