What's new

4x4 2,4 Ghz increase coverage?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tiomiguel

Occasional Visitor
If I want a AP with maximum coverage, in Europe, In some sites say 4x4 radio increase coverage over 2x2 radio.

My question is if this is true or not

In a WLAN with IOT devices far from AP, 4x4 radio increase REAL coverage over 2x2 radio OR NOT?

Many domestic router have 2x2 radio in 2,4 Ghz (but 4x4 radio in 5 Ghz). Only high end routers have 4x4 radio in 2,4 ghz

I owned unifi UAP-AC-LR with 3x3 in 2,4 Ghz but coverage is similar to RT-AX55 or RT-AX57 that are 2x2

For example, XIAOMI AX-3200 with 4x4 at 2,4Ghz would increase REAL coverage?

Not true. 4x4 and 2x2 says something about the amount of simultanious streams that can be used, but nothing about coverage.

Are you sure?

Some specilaliced sotes soy like this:

Diversity: If there are more antennas than streams (eg: 2×2 client to 4×4 router),the 'extra' antennas can then be used to improve link quality, and increase range. With multipleantennas receiving the same transmitted signal, the receiver can recombine all of the receivedsignals into a better estimate of the true transmitted signal.
FCC documents discuss that the 'maximum' gain when doubling antennas is 10×log(NANT/NSS) dBi, which for a 2×2 client to a 4×4 access point, would result in a diversity gain of 'around' 3 dBi. OR a 4×4 access point to a 1×1 client means a diversity gain 'around' 6 dBi.
This explain why you really do want a 4×4 MIMO router, even though there may only be 1×1 and 2×2 client devices connecting to it!

@microchip is correct. In reality newer more sensitive 2x2 radio may have better range than older 4x4 radio. I’ve seen examples of this multiple times. More spatial streams supported doesn’t translate automatically to better range. The theory applies only when all other variables are the same, but this is not the case.

Range depends a lot more on antenna design and how good the signal is, but you might be able to cover some dead spots with a 4x4 router that a 2x2 router can't catch. Other factors are things like the power amplifiers used, even though you're a lot more limited in Europe than the US.
Technically, you could swap to different antennas and potentially gain some range, especially if you get direction antennas, but then you lose coverage instead.