What's new

5 Ghz Disonnects on HP Envy Laptop

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zoulas

Occasional Visitor
Hello, I have two identical laptops with the same problem. They are HP Envy with Broadcom 802.11 AC Dual band WIFI. The 2.4 Ghz connections for no problem for hours at a time. The 5 ghz drops the connection, sometimes after 5 min, sometimes after 30 min. I really dont think its the router, TP Link Archer C7, as it also happens with a Buffalo dual band router that I have. The drivers are the absolute latest and the bios is the latest. I called HP and they were no help. I used the wifi analyzer and my 5 ghz connection is the only one in the area.

I googled the error and there are 1000's of hits for 5 ghz connection drops, I tried most of the recommendations--disabling the power management on the wifi, updating the drivers, etc, nothing seemed to work.

Not real sure what I can do next. Any help would be appreciated.

Unfortunately it probably is the router(s).

You can try the C7 beta firmware here http://www.timothyhoogland.com/2013/12/tp-link-archer-c7-follow-up-new-firmware/

And/or the broadcom drivers themselves.

I have heard of a LOT of problems with current Broadcom clients on 5GHz lately, and some even on 2.4GHz. I've personally been having incessant problems with my tablet that has a Broadcom SDIO wifi adapter in it on 2.4GHz with connection drops. Not a C7 Archer though.

Other options include trying to put the HP Envy in to 11n mode only on 5GHz and see if that remedies it.

Other options include trying to disable UPnP on your router (a possible solution).

So far the beta firmware seems to have solved the 5ghz connection drop problem. It seems TP Link is responding to the countless complaints from mac users and dropped connections. This is an absolutely invaluable web site. Thanks very much for all your help.

You are welcome, just keep in mind looking at the blog, it looks like it "fixed" things for the user for only a week or two before he started getting dropped connections again. Sadly he wasn't very forth coming about ANY of it, other than he had problems and dropped connections.

Its unclear if this is something that requires a router reboot, or a client reboot or what to resolve once it starts happening.

So hopefully this solves it for you fully.