What's new

5Ghz Access Point Supporting Channels 36-64 & 100-140

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dogged

New Around Here
Hi Guys...

I am trying to establish an outdoors directional 5Ghz access point system to supplement my existing 2.4Ghz TP-Link WR1043ND. I've tried to use a TP-Link CPE510, and their support department initially told me their device supports more than channels 149, 153, 157, and 161. After upgrading the firmware as directed, I was informed today that the CPE510 currently only supports channels 149, 153, 157, & 161.

Does anyone know which "consumer grade" outdoor 5Ghz directional devices operate on more than the "149 to 161" channels?

Additionally, which indoor "consumer grade" access points can function on more that the "149 to 161" channels?

Thanks for the help.

D

Pretty much all indoor access point/routers will support 36-48 as well. Until Juneish channels 36-48 were restricted to indoor operation only and 50mw. FCC recently changed it to permit outdoor operation and 1w of Tx power. There may be some outdoor rated APs that you can find that support channels 36-48, but I am not sure which ones that might be. Channels 52-64 and 100-140 you will not find any outdoor rated APs that support them. Those are the DFS channels and they are strictly limited to indoor operation only. I am not aware of any outdoor APs/wireless bridges that will support them.

Pretty much all indoor access point/routers will support 36-48 as well. Until Juneish channels 36-48 were restricted to indoor operation only and 50mw. FCC recently changed it to permit outdoor operation and 1w of Tx power. There may be some outdoor rated APs that you can find that support channels 36-48, but I am not sure which ones that might be. Channels 52-64 and 100-140 you will not find any outdoor rated APs that support them. Those are the DFS channels and they are strictly limited to indoor operation only. I am not aware of any outdoor APs/wireless bridges that will support them.

Thanks for the response.

I found an EnGenius ENH500 outdoor AC review by SNB... and it suggests that it operates on the non-consumer channels.... I acquired one on Sunday and will be doing a test setup this week.

As to the DFS channels, my InSSIDer (from an upstairs window) found several in use from me. At least two broadcast an SSID of "MotVap????".

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online