What's new

5GHz drops on Asus AC87

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

twennywonn

Occasional Visitor
I recently purchased 2 Asus AC87s one set up as a router the other setup as and AP. I use 2 to get adequate 5GHz coverage and typically Im connected to the AP on 5GHz however it always locks up and the only fix is to power cycle. My question is, is this a known issue or do I have a bad unit. I was on the latest firmware and had the issue so I upgraded to the merlin firmware and the issue is still there. Should I do a reset and set it up from scratch? As far as I can tell the 5GHz on the main router has been fine.

Any help would be great, I had the WRT1900 and the Asus is more reliable when watching 1080p video on laptops where the I would get buffing issues with the Linksys.

Just an update.

I updated to the latest merlin build and manually re-entered all my settings. I also swapped the routers and I still lose connectivity to the web. My connection to the router is actually fine but I cannot open a webpage until I restart the router.

Any insight of some other things I can try would be great.

Just an update.

I updated to the latest merlin build and manually re-entered all my settings. I also swapped the routers and I still lose connectivity to the web. My connection to the router is actually fine but I cannot open a webpage until I restart the router.

Any insight of some other things I can try would be great.
Reflash the router and perform a factory reset. I use the WPS button method to perform the factory reset, press & hold the WPS button for at least 10 seconds after pressing the power button to boot up the router. Then manually setup the router and reenter your settings. If you take screenshots of your current settings and save them then reconfiguring manually it is fairly easy, just time consuming. Do not use a saved cfg file to try and restore your previous settings or you will render the factory reset moot.

Tried the above but the problem is still there. The only thing I can think if is the router is in a cabinet and could be over heating. I had the R7000 and the WRT1900 in there for months without issues.

Is there a way I can post the log?

Last edited:
Tried the above but the problem is still there. The only thing I can think if is the router is in a cabinet and could be over heating. I had the R7000 and the WRT1900 in there for months without issues.

Is there a way I can post the log?

To post your logs just use your mouse and highlight hit copy then paste it here.

Thanks for you help guys. I didn't past the log because it was over the limit. In the GUI the 5GHz radio said not ready.

I have already jumped ship to 2 R8000s so far so good, however the antennas feel very cheap.

If you switched to the Netgear touters, you should take a look at the DD-WRT firmware.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk