What's new

5Ghz Speeds 1-8mbps? (Asus AC-66U)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

VinceP

New Around Here
So I am having large issues with the 5ghz band on my Asus router. Range for both bands is fine as I expect it to be but when I connect to the 5ghz band my connection speeds are absolutely abysmal even when in feet of the router. My 2.4 band is pulling ~30mbps so that is working as I would expect but on an AC enabled device I would expect the 5ghz band to be a star and it is absolutely horrid right now. Any advice would be amazing. I have included some speed test to show the 5ghz band vs the 2.4ghz as well as the 5ghz professional settings.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

FYI my lan speeds are 150Mbps

IMG_3581.PNG
IMG_3580.PNG

jtOiuD5MdnzpDmHFpBvBrL9QhYEiLyNBSNdZhB-YnUuG5H5XmpC9dcF8ZQdA7RFRVa11EmQ-KTcMbLyUOWBWvhog763YTyqfi_R-RpehGApeb-fBwvgoiNUKyRxPM1t5JlnFUAqjIhP2h5LR23WNpIcYv_RH5VBFUSsuopLYH2Dh-4Pcmx-bRoIgKF90_-KKYN-0mv7plQg3lN4IK23M2EgI6n7TiN2BTPGBy9kHvhNSVu9KF9bOwz5sJbvBHo5s2pdlFdlKSJvUNHRVQW2Ji4NPmN8agNvUBvvbLUP0arBUQ6pC2NqZH3WfmPqDfjyr1islJMQMicRuYW4TAQluVgw949EmE8_Yz_HAFRAvUUab86GCbd_xb6CK0UcczYMQOsmaW8cSc56dwmzPw9WD-uD4Ng0Cb0UDIzggPPsRPE4N5iF0ZU7pxhDn0fp7fp0Yv6oHLp0cS4cTf-deIEbB3R-lAt1mMWkyy8oUUmqni2NaBMGdpup8TjN6JXHLHak7cp0uXlAbatDaGUCB-YOj1_SNFT3RgamEVU8Zhe4fnLw=w2590-h1942-no

Set your preamble to short on your 5GHz radio...

Made that change and no impact. I also wanted to note that I purchased an AC2400 this week to see if it was my specific router creating the issue and results were effectively the same. Is this a known issue with the Asus line and just a crap shoot whether you get a good model? I've seen a lot of post with issues on the 5ghz band. I have no range issues really its just the connection is garbage itself.

5 Ghz performance is fine on my AC66U with Merlin 378.56_2; fully utilising my 120 Mbps down & 12 Mbps up connection.

Made that change and no impact. I also wanted to note that I purchased an AC2400 this week to see if it was my specific router creating the issue and results were effectively the same. Is this a known issue with the Asus line and just a crap shoot whether you get a good model? I've seen a lot of post with issues on the 5ghz band. I have no range issues really its just the connection is garbage itself.

May have something else in the 5GHz band that is causing interference perhaps, esp. if changing from one AP to another, and nothing changes..

May have something else in the 5GHz band that is causing interference perhaps, esp. if changing from one AP to another, and nothing changes..

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking interference may be an issue but I downloaded inSSIDer and based on the below there doesn't really appear to be anything on the 5ghz band. The thing that looks weird to me in the statistics is the max rate showing up. Shouldn't that be significantly higher?

upload_2015-12-10_11-2-1.png

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking interference may be an issue but I downloaded inSSIDer and based on the below there doesn't really appear to be anything on the 5ghz band. The thing that looks weird to me in the statistics is the max rate showing up. Shouldn't that be significantly higher?

InSSIDer only sees WiFi, so could be a non-wifi source, or a WiFi AP with a hidden beacon...

5 Ghz performance is fine on my AC66U with Merlin 378.56_2; fully utilising my 120 Mbps down & 12 Mbps up connection.

XIII - I am using the same firmware. Can you do a screenshot of your settings to see if any big differences pop out.

So I tried connecting the new AC87U I purchased again to see if I could get the 5ghz band performing but to no avail so now I have two devices were the 5ghz band is providing inconsistent and degraded speeds consistenly. The likelihood of having two hardware issues as I have changed the firmware on both routers multiple times including a factory reset on both seems remote so i'm not sure what to do at this point. I have changed the bandwidth/channels all multiple times and haven't seen any improvement. Looking for any help here. I am currently back on my original router ac66u and running the latest Merlin release so any options at this point i'll take. Otherwise I may be switching brands or returning the ac87U and playing the hardware lottery.

So I tried connecting the new AC87U I purchased again to see if I could get the 5ghz band performing but to no avail

across all clients or a single client - perhaps you have a bad client....

Speed tested on two laptops and two phones.
When you change settings on the 5ghz radio, are you resetting the router each time? You might try that to be sure the changes you are making actually "stick".

Also, on the 5ghz band, what channel ranges are you using? I may have missed where you described this (but it looks like you're using 149 based on the Inssider pic shown above...but the pic is too small for me to really tell). If you're having trouble on the upper 5ghz band of channels, then you might want to try using the lower-tier channels.

I have two AC66U's running Merlin (can't recall what version, and I'm not at home right now) but I'm able to get full speeds (300 down and 30 up) with no difficulty from both. Be sure that you have your channel width set to 80mhz, otherwise you will not be getting true AC (do not do this though for 2.4ghz, as you don't want to be a pig with your neighbors by hogging overlapping channels).

I will be happy to send you a screenshot of my settings later tonight when I get a chance to look.

When you change settings on the 5ghz radio, are you resetting the router each time? You might try that to be sure the changes you are making actually "stick".

Also, on the 5ghz band, what channel ranges are you using? I may have missed where you described this (but it looks like you're using 149 based on the Inssider pic shown above...but the pic is too small for me to really tell). If you're having trouble on the upper 5ghz band of channels, then you might want to try using the lower-tier channels.

I have two AC66U's running Merlin (can't recall what version, and I'm not at home right now) but I'm able to get full speeds (300 down and 30 up) with no difficulty from both. Be sure that you have your channel width set to 80mhz, otherwise you will not be getting true AC (do not do this though for 2.4ghz, as you don't want to be a pig with your neighbors by hogging overlapping channels).

I will be happy to send you a screenshot of my settings later tonight when I get a chance to look.

I am currently on ch 153 which is completely unoccupied based on my inssider report. Getting 100 link score. I will try to change to 80mhz and drop down to the lower range channels now. I apply all the changes and they show up when I reopen the router in my browser but I haven't done a physical reset each time (i.e. power on/off) would you recommend doing that? It would be great to get your settings so I can do a comparison. I'm going to try the lower channels now to see what I get.

Yeah, based on your screen shot you're only using 20 MHz bandwidth and you'll never reach the speeds you're after. Note that in the screen show the max rate is 54Mbps. You'll need to set it to 80MHz to max out the AC settings. Once you make that change you may need to disable the radio on the client and enable it again. If you're using Apple devices you might want to delete the settings from them and set them up again too. I've been burned by that in the past.