What's new

802.11g LAN-ready speakers?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mediaman

Regular Contributor
Is there such a thing as wireless 802.11g LAN-ready speakers?

I'm looking to be able to listen to music (from my networked media library), in rooms like the kitchen, deck, dining rooms etc ; rooms with no PC's or audio systems, but with wireless access.

Would like to set up whatever music I want on any pc, and listen it in these remote rooms ( without buyng $400 devices like squeezebox boomboxes).

Actually, I guess what am after are wireless speakers for use with networked PC that do not interfere with wireless networks..so I dont want 2.4GHz!!

Possible? Any ideas?

Last edited:
Sounds like you're interested in a intercom/music distribution system.

Google comes up with Sony's S-AIR, but I can't vouch for its suitability.

Try Freecom MusicPal

Freecom MusicPal

http://www.freecom.com/ecproduct_detail.asp?ID=3593&CatID=8060&sCatID=1147458&ssCatID=1147458

I'm guessing this is exactly what you want. 3W Speaker (or line out), Ethernet socket, 802.11g wireless, 200Mz Orion CPU, two dials (volume, menu). Streams mp3s using UPnP (so that's WMP 11, the Google Desktop Gadget server, mediatomb, twonky, a NAS with media server). Also does internet radio (which is better than I thought). Good size too.

60 UK pounds inc taxes. Even with wholesale prices I could barely make it cheaper myself.

Got one, now going to get another. Parents (retired) bought one Can't say enough good things about it. Ok, well its a speaker not a hifi. Could have better wireless range.

The manual is in the support section. And they've done two feature firmware updates in the last year.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!