What's new

A few basic questions.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

K

Kimbob-el

I know most of my Questions are basic and have probably been discussed already but I felt the need to ask. I have read most of the articles on buying a router, in particular the one ones pertaining to the "draft N" technology. I understand the Spec is not finished and that there are some problems lingering among all draft N products with regards to dual band. I have a Desktop that will be hooked into whatever router I purchased. I also have an ASUS Latop sporting a new draft N wireless card that was already installed from ASUS and an XBOX 360 that I would like to run wireless as well. The XBOX network adapter states it will work with A, B, G and 2.4 or the 5 frequency. My question is what effect will the Xbox adapter have on the rest of the network, and if a router with the higher band frequency would be better for both apparatus to connect to. I apologize for not knowing all the technical terms I just need help finding something that will meet my needs without going overkill. Currently I am looking at a Linksys 610n or the DLINK equivalent. Or if it boils down to not needing te higher frequency I may go with the Belkin N+

Thanks in advance for all the suggestions.

Throughput is reduced in mixed draft 11n and 802.11b/g networks only when both flavors of adapters are active.

You will find reduced range when using the 5 GHz band, but less interference with other wireless networks, most of which run in the 2.4 GHz band.