What's new

A little bit of pushing my RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wouterv

Very Senior Member
I took the opportunity to push my RT-N66U, I can only say it does perform well.
The test computer runs Windows 7, with a Ralink RT3592 802.11a/b/g/n 2x2 WiFi Adapter.
RT-N66U Firmware: 3.0.0.4.380.3831
Off course I tried to make optimal wireless connections and tried the best responding speedtest.net server for my location.
The usual situation in my home is a bit different, with degraded wireless for various clients.

Wireless 2.4 GHz (fixed to 40 MHz, usually I have it set to 20 MHz):
upload_2016-7-9_15-42-48.png

Wireless 5 GHz:
upload_2016-7-9_15-43-42.png

Wired 1 Gbps:
upload_2016-7-9_15-44-46.png

With the wired connection I manage to hit the ISP maximum (yes...it is a bit more then years ago when I started with a 1200/75 baud dial up modem).

So in comparison to the previous version are you saying this version is better or worse or about the same? Wonder if they closed the ability to go back to before the 380.xx builds using the firmware restore utility?

The wireless driver of the RT-N66U is not updated since firmware version 3.0.0.4.376.3657 in 2014.
The wireless driver version is still 6.30.163.2002 (r382208).
You shall not expect any network performance enhancements.
To me the RT-N66U is performing stable and excellent since ever, except for a few intermediate firmware versions that I tried and skipped.

Last edited:
Using an N66U and the same connection I get 270Mbits/Second download speed on the 5Ghz band.

Edit: I have a 450Mbit TX connection though. About 25 meters away and through a wall.

Using an N66U and the same connection I get 270Mbits/Second download speed on the 5Ghz band.

Edit: I have a 450Mbit TX connection though. About 25 meters away and through a wall.
You see the final maximum download speeds are about half the connection speed, at my side the limitation is at the client end with a 300 Mbps connextion max.
Real limitations are caused by degradation of the wireless link due to distance and obstacles.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!