What's new

About JFFS, /temp and storing system data on USB HDD?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hale_JP

Occasional Visitor
As far as I know, in order to make a user changes based on filesystem (configs, or software) in bare router I have to enable JFFS, where Merlin refers for critical scripts, then dump changes every time I reconfig something.

1) But do I need JFFS, when there is a USB HDD is attached, and I do not configure anything to start early (pre-interface, pre-firewall)?

Does Merlin refer USB disk partition for any scripts, or programs, when JFFS is not enabled? are programs installed into usb-hdd?

2)I tried installing MC without JFFS, and got it into ./temp/mc
Is it RAM-only or USB-based location? Will it remain after reboot, keep its configs, or be executable by simply calling "mc" from console?

3)I want to configure swap FILE on USB HDD. Is JFFS mandatory for refering to this swap file? Or can I have a swap file on HDD without configuring anything at JFFS?
I could not find any simple walkthrough for making this.

As far as I know, in order to make a user changes based on filesystem (configs, or software) in bare router I have to enable JFFS, where Merlin refers for critical scripts, then dump changes every time I reconfig something.

1) But do I need JFFS, when there is a USB HDD is attached, and I do not configure anything to start early (pre-interface, pre-firewall)?

Does Merlin refer USB disk partition for any scripts, or programs, when JFFS is not enabled? are programs installed into usb-hdd?

2)I tried installing MC without JFFS, and got it into ./temp/mc
Is it RAM-only or USB-based location? Will it remain after reboot, keep its configs, or be executable by simply calling "mc" from console?

3)I want to configure swap FILE on USB HDD. Is JFFS mandatory for refering to this swap file? Or can I have a swap file on HDD without configuring anything at JFFS?
I could not find any simple walkthrough for making this.
MC or Midnight Commander I guess needs Entware installed.
Entware and most of the scripts found here, including my own require jffs being enabled.

But to simply plug in a HDD for use with file sharing does not need jffs enabled.

well, I just installed it by the book, without Entware.
But it went to /temp, and I am not sure, where that temp is located. I guess, /temp is a ramdisk. Am I right?
Can you post the source of your "by the book" method?
/tmp/ is a volatile directory. It gets created new at every boot.

sorry.. already got an answer for /temp in my topic about mc.

by the book means "ipkg install mc"

well... Merlin is very new to me. I am not native to Linux world, and was using generally PC/HDD based linuxes... and some early Asus-500GP hacked firmware.

sorry.. already got an answer for /temp in my topic about mc.

by the book means "ipkg install mc"

well... Merlin is very new to me. I am not native to Linux world, and was using generally PC/HDD based linuxes... and some early Asus-500GP hacked firmware.
You're better off with Entware, it's a well maintained alternative to Optware which is used by Asus.
When using Entware, you are best prepared to use my scripts and others posted on this board.
Use amtm to install Entware but uninstall Optware first. They do not work side-by-side.