What's new

About total bandwidth efficiency on WLAN with multiple clients

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

heffeque

New Around Here
First of all, this is my first post in SNB.

I've been reading articles from this site for a long time (I remember when it was a part of Tom's Hardware, if my memory isn't playing tricks on me), but today I decided to register because I think that you guys would be ideal to solve this question in an informed way.

I "think" I remember reading somewhere in SNB a long time ago in a router review or maybe it was some draft-n article or something... that talked about how the router would be more "efficient" on the WLAN with a few clients connected to it than just having one, and if the number of clients continues to grow, the efficiency starts to lower again because of packet collisions.

More or less in the lines of this example:

• 1 router with one SSID and no other WLAN routers nearby

• 1 client connected at 300 Mbps (theoretical) doing 80 Mbps (practical): Total 80 Mbps: 0.26 efficiency.
  • 2 clients connected at 300 Mbps doing 75 + 75 Mbps simultaneously: Total 150 Mbps: 0.5 efficiency.
  • 3 clients connected at 300 Mbps doing 70 + 70 + 70 Mbps: Total 210 Mbps: 0.7 efficiency.
  • 4 clients connected at 300 Mbps doing 50 + 50 + 50 + 50 Mbps: Total 200 Mbps: 0.6 efficiency.
  • 5 clients doing 30*5: Total 150 Mbps: 0.5 efficiency.
  • 6 clients doing 15*6: Total 90 Mbps: 0.3 efficiency.

I'm just inventing the numbers, but that's more or less the idea I got from the article.

Anyone can give some informed light about this? Do I remember correctly or is this a false statement and the most efficient is just one router - one client.

It's been bugging me for quite a while and I can't seem to find where I read about it.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!